Search for content in message boards

J. A. FOSTER & Mollie THOMPSON

Replies: 8

Re: Foster Family; Surnames Wells, Whitehead, Lewis

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 11:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wells-Lewis
Hello Khazz,

I happen to read your post. I wanted to let you know that I am very familiar the surname Wells/Whiteheads. My great gradmother was Verna Wells-Lewis (whom married Sam Lewis) born in MIlam County, County. Her father was John Wells (born 1865, died 1937 in Milam County, Texas) and her mother was Lena Thomas-Wells ( 1887-1926). My great great father John Wells had two children prior to his marriage to Lean Thomas Wells. However, the union of John Wells and Lena Thomas Wells was from oldest to younges (Verna Wells-Lewis, John Clark Wells, Ed Wells, Willie Mae Wells, Hattie Mae Wells, Oliver Leonard Wells Sr, Glady Wells-Jackson and Lonnie B Wells).

Verna Wells had two sons, Wilburt Lawson and Hurbert Lawson from her brief marriage; and daughter, Flonnie Mae Lewis (my grandmother) from her marriage to Sam Lewis (my great grandfather) Verna Wells Lewis died in 1985 in Dickinson, Texas and Sam Lewis died in 1973. My grandmother, my grandmother, the oldest living grandchild from John Wells and Lean Wells is sitll living and will be 88 this year. FYI my grand mother married Buster Lewis (different set of Lewis's in Cameron, Milam County). So we are related to tons of Lewis's on both side up around Hearne, Cameron and Branchville. My great grandmtoher Verna Well Lewis and Sam are both buried in Branchville, Texas - Old Providence Cemetary.

My great grandmother pretty much help to raise her younger silblings after her mother died at an early age. In fact Verna and Gladys Wells Garrett- Jackson both moved to Texas City. Glady Wells had two daughters, Norma Jean Garrett-Brown (deceased) and Gladys "Marie" Garrett-Bland (living in TexasCity). My grandmother, Flonnie and "Marie" are extremely close so are the families.

I am familiar with all what you have stated to Bob and have lots of information from my grandmother herself as it relates to the Wells. As a matter of fact, my best friend here in DC, family live very close from haifax, edgecombe county, nc where the family (leah wells) originiated from and we have been there.

Please feel free to send me a message at MLewis1906 on ancestory.com and we can also speak offline. There is no doubt we are related through the Wells branch of the tree.

Verna Wells Lewis/Sam Lewis: Wilburt Lawson, Hurbert Lawson, Flonnie Lewis
Flonnie Lewis (living): Married Buster Lewis, deceased, (Milam County) - children, Dimple Ray Lewis-Caldwell(deceased; 5 living children and 1 deceased) and Wilbur G Lewis (my father living, i am the oldest of his children me and my sister; he has other children). I am very very close to grandmother, Flonnie Lewis and was close to my great grandparents on both sides (Verna Wells Lewis and Sam Lewis).

Gladys Wells Garrett-Jackson (deceased); 2 daughters and 1 adopted daughter -Norma Jean Garrett-Jackson (deceased) and Gladys "Marie" Garrett-Bland (living, we call her Marie, and she had 4 children) and Phyllis Jackson-Anderson (living, has 3 children - houston).

Hope to hear back from you.
I am also on Ancestory.com; MLewis1906
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bob Foster 9 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Louise Birchfield 9 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Bob Foster 12 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Khazz 14 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Bob Foster 17 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Khazz 18 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
MLewis1906 24 Apr 2012 5:08AM GMT 
Cari Rowland 22 Mar 2002 12:11AM GMT 
GlyndaL 28 Oct 2001 1:54AM GMT