Search for content in message boards

McKAY Charles A, SD, Martha, Isabelle, and Alexander

Replies: 1

McKAY Charles A, SD, Martha, Isabelle, and Alexander

Leona Garcia (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2002 5:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ADKINS, ATKINS, HUDMAN, HENSON, MCCAY,MCKAY,MCCOY, THOMASON
My mother Nettie Joan ORR HERMAN hired a professional researcher Charles A McKAY directly below here is our Charles McKAY.
Question:
Does anyone know anything about this Charles A McKAY b Nov 24 1824 d Aug 28, 1873 Buried Cooper Cemetery Leon Co TX?

Here is what we have - Can anyone prove anything or recognize their own ancestors in this data?

1] Charles above is the father of Isabelle "Belle" McCAY aka McKAY who married Robert S or T ADKINS in Limestone co TX Sept 19, 1876? (see census 1860 below)

2] Charles above was the husband of Susan A HUDMAN (who after Charles died in 1873 Susan married a man named Henry HENSON- the widower of her dead sister Mary Ann HUDMAN)

3] Charles above is found in 1864 on a Leon Co TX Confederate Soldier List of Indigent Families.

4]Charles is on the 1860 federal census Leon County TX.
272B-273: #506/506:
LDS Records show:McKAY Charles b 1829 GA but other sources show 1827 and 1833 TN. ( I believe date above on tombstone is the correct one)

1860 Federal Census, Leon County, Texas:pp. 272B-273:#506/506:
Charles McKAY 33 TN Farmer $641 personal property
Susan 27 GA
William A. 11 TX
James M. 10 TX
John T. 7 TX
Emma A. 6 TX
Isabella 4 TX
Charles E. 2 TX
Alvin H. 8/12 TX

MCKAY, Charles E. is the Charles E two years old above but lists parents born in different place: He is listed as McKAY Charles E, Head: White: Male: b. Jan 1858: age 42: married 16 yrs: b. TX: father b. Mississippi: mother b. Mississippi: occupation Barber: can read, write, and speak English: owns home: mortgaged house.
Addie: wife: White: Female: b. Nov. 1867 age 32: married 16 yrs: b.TX: father b. TN: mother b. Mississippi: can read, write, and speak English.
Bert L.: son : White: Male: b. Mar. 1886: age 14: single: TX: TX:TX: at school 8 yrs: can read, write, and speak English.
Charles T.?: son: White: Male: b. Dec. 1888: age 11: single: TX: TX:TX: at school 8 yrs.: can read,write, and speak English.
Sallie B.: Daughter: white: Female: b. Jan. 1893: age 7: single: TX:TX: TX: at school 3 yrs.

NOTE: Quite a few people have written over the years and told me Charles A McKAY may be our man. They have generously provided the following information that I can NOT verify to date.
Charles A McKAY has some documents in the following names. Charles A Mackay and
Charles A McCAY and has also used Charles A McCOY on one occasion. If this is true, then it makes things much harder. The only thing we have that is really new here is a starting birthdate but no birthplace to go on.
Other surnames of interest in connection with these same counties are ADKINS, ATKINS, HUDMAN, HENSON, McCAY, McKAY and variant spellings.

QUESTION:
Does anyone know if SD and Charles A below are brothers. Does anyone know if their father was Alexander McKAY?

1860 Leon Co TX Census

21 | 503 | 8 | McKay S. D | 40 M|Farmer | TN || M200 |
22 | 503 | 8 | McKay Martha|29 F| | TN || M200 |

38 | 506 | 12 | McKay Chas.|33 M| Farmer | TN || M200 |
39 | 506 | 12 | McKay Susan|27 F| | GA || M200 |

Can anyone make any sense of the information below?

There was no probate record for Charles McKay in Leon County. However, there was a record for the estates of Alexander McKay and G.C. McKay. Alexander McKay was the father of S.D. McKay, and G.C. McKay was the brother of _________????. The record stated "his brother". I didn't know if it means the brother of S.D. McKay or the brother of Alexander McKay. Both died in Leon County but the year of death was not given. The heirs were supposed to be the same so the estates were merged for probate purposes. The probate record was dated 1866 when S.D. McKay applied as administrator. The estate involved land in Rusk County which was sold in 1870.

The deed record in Rusk County should list the heirs. The actual probate case file was missing (destroyed by fire) so I only copied the minutes.

There were no deed records in Leon County for the McKay family and no marriage records either. Charles A. McKay was the only burial for the 1800s listed in the Leon County Cemetery Books.

When S.D. McKay posted a bond in probate court, Charles McKay and D.B. Thomason were listed as sureties. Charles and S.D. McKay are apparently related--probably brothers.

In Limestone County I found marriage records for the
following:

C.E. McKay and Addie Beavers; February 25, 1884.
Mary McKay and J.C. Pelton; December 18, 1883.

I did find the record where R.S. Adkins my ggggrandfather married "Bell" McCoy (the name was misspelled (certificate of marriage obtaines shows Belle McCAY. The date September 21, 1876. Book record shows September 20.

I also found a death certificate for Charles Edward McKay son of Charles A McKAY and Susan HUDMAN; born January 31, 1858; died May 14, 1952. He is buried in the Myrtle Cemetery in Ennis, (Ellis County) Texas.

It appears that Alexander McKay is the ancestor we have been trying to find. It is possible that Charles A. McKay's middle name might be Alexander.

The deed records in Rusk County TX should list all of the heirs of Alexander McKay. Can anyone shed any light on this?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Leona Garcia 23 Oct 2002 11:01PM GMT 
Cammie_Nussba... 25 Jul 2012 9:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions