Search for content in message boards

Wraggs in Rusk

Replies: 1

Wraggs in Rusk

Posted: 13 Jul 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Sep 2003 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: WRAGG
I was searching the archives of Rusk Co. Queries, and saw that there had been a discussion about the Wragg's in Rusk. Ron mentioned Theodore Pinkney Wragg... that his great grandfather had been raised by Pink Wragg and his wife Laura, when his parents died (Laura was his mother's sister).

I find T.P. Wragg listed on the 1880 census (haven't seen the actual census yet... just looked up Wraggs in TX in 1880)... but this is no doubt Thomas Pinkney. There was also a G. T. Wragg in Rusk Co.

Mike mentions a Samuel D. Wragg, 1822-1878. Since he died before the 1880 census, he wouldn't have been on it...

Does anyone know who G. T. Wragg was?

Do any of ya'll know anything about these Wraggs?

The reason that I ask:

I'm related to the OTHER Wraggs that were in Texas at that time, in Bosque, Stephens and Hill Co.

Samuel Wragg, Jr. (1832-1864) was born in Scott Co., KY to Samuel Wragg, Sr. and Mary McKenzie. Mary and Sam Sr. were both from SC, and both ended up in Winston Co., Mississippi, where they died.

Sam Wragg, Jr. married Margaret Lindsey in Winston Co., MS in 1852. They had 4 children. Sam died in the civil war. Margaret married Charles Foster Wood in 1866, and they moved to Texas, with her 4 small Wragg children. They eventually settled in Bosque Co. By 1880, their oldest, William L. Wragg(b 1853) was in Wise Co., the next son, James (b. 1856) hasn't been found, but it is believed he died by 1887, when there was a challenge to his grandfather's will, and his sibs were listed but he wasn't....he WAS listed in the original settlement in 1874. The next son was Benjamin Franklin Wragg (b 1858), who is found in Stephens Co in 1880, and the youngest, Mary (Mollie) (b. 1860) is still at her mother and stepfather's home in Bosque Co. There is a "spare" Wragg also in Bosque Co.... a Lenora Wragg, age 19, with dau, Eudora Wragg, age 1, living in her parent's home (J. H. and Edna Clark... all from TN). I had assumed that this was probably the widow of James Wragg... but in the dispute of the settlement of Grandpa's estate... no mention is made of a widow and daughter of James Wragg.

I believe that Wragg is a somewhat uncommon name. I do have a "cousin" that probably has more on this line of Wragg's. I'm not a Wragg descendant... I am descended from Charles Wood and Margaret Lindsey Wragg Wood.

Do you know what race the Wraggs in Rusk are? My Wragg family is white. The reason I ask, is that my "cousin" had told me that in Winston Co, Mississippi, all the Wraggs left there are black families.

I would sure like to find out if these two bunches of Wraggs were related. It's also interesting that we both have Sam Wraggs!

If anyone knows any more about the Wraggs in Rusk Co., please post to the message board, and write me directly.

Thanks, Barbara Craddock Pike

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
barbdale 13 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
hwraggs 24 Feb 2013 2:19AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions