Search for content in message boards

Tarrant County Constables 1887

Replies: 4

Tarrant County Constables 1887

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 1:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jul 2013 2:36PM GMT
Surnames: Youngblood, Young, Harris
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me identify the constables in Tarrant County for the year 1887. After checking all the County resources available on line, I can't seem to locate a list.

I'm researching a shooting that happened in 1887, and I've located some conflicting references concerning the actual identity of the Tarrant County Constable who pulled the trigger.

From The Dallas Herald, Vol. 2, No. 162, Ed. 1 Tuesday, July 26, 1887:

KILLED

By the Constable at Grand Prairie.

The killing of Ed Young on Saturday by Dave Youngblood, constable of Tarrant County, is said to have been an inexcusable crime. Young was recently from Indiana, without friends, and less feeling is manifested than might be expected under other circumstances. Young was fined a week or so ago for a fight with Rogors,[sic] and went to the picnic to see an acquaintance who would pay or secure his fine of $25. Several witnesses declare that all in the world Young did was to attempt to escape when he found he could not raise the money. He was powder burned, and is said not to have been over five feet from the constable. Witnesses say that Youngblood has no excuse whatever for the killing.

From the Fort Worth Daily Gazette, Vol. 12, No. 357, Ed. 1, Monday, July 25, 1887:

Died of his Wounds.

Ed Young, who was shot by Constable Youngblood at a picnic on the Trinity not far from Arlington Saturday, died about 9 a.m. yesterday. Youngblood was in Fort Worth yesterday in custody of a brother officer. He will have a preliminary hearing before Justice Harris at Arlington today.

From the Fort Worth Daily Gazette, April 08, 1890, Page 8:

Five murder cases have been set for trial during the month, at the following dates: J.H. Youngblood, on the 17th instant, for the murder of Ed Young, near Bedford, on the 23rd of July 1887...

From the Fort Worth Daily Gazette, Vol. 14, No. 189, Ed. 1, Saturday, April 19, 1890:

MURDER TRIALS

Youngblood, Charged With Murder of Ed Young, Easily Acquitted

J. H. Youngblood is a free man today. Yesterday he was charged with the murder of Edward Young, and was on trial for his life in the district court. The entire morning up to 10:30 was used in getting a jury to try the case, which, it seems, most of the jurymen were acquainted with, for two venires were exhausted before the box was full. Those finally selected were J.L. Dodson, J.T. Pulliam, W.A. McLane, H. Poe, Frank Elliston, W.M. McVeigh, W.M. Evans, J.L. Alud, Charles Lukes, and J.M. French. The evidence was all in before noon, and the case was given to the jury about 4 o'clock. In seven minutes they returned a verdict of acquittal. The defendant was charged with shooting and killing Ed Young on July 23, 1887, in the vicinity of Bedford. It was brought out in the testimony that Youngblood, who was a constable, had arrested the man Young on a charge of assault and battery. The man was fined, and instead of committing him to jail the defendant took him to a picnic near by, where Young said he could get money to pay his fine. While there in waiting Young saw that the constable was off his guard, and made a break for liberty. The constable drew and cocked his pistol and followed after him in close pursuit. While running his foot was caught in the brambles and tripped him, and the pistol was discharged by the tension of the muscles involuntarily, the bullet taking effect in Young's back, from which wound he died. That was substantially the testimony, and it was not disturbed in cross-examination. The jury found an easy verdict in favor of the defendant.

I'd like to know the full name of the J.H. Youngblood, Constable, featured in these articles. Also like to hear from anyone who might be familiar with this incident.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lonestar357 10 Jul 2013 7:56PM GMT 
judyartley53 16 Aug 2013 4:35PM GMT 
lonestar357 16 Aug 2013 5:07PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 16 Aug 2013 11:20PM GMT 
lonestar357 17 Aug 2013 2:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic