Does anyone know the exact address for what in 1940 was called the Abilene State Hospital? This is what I can find on it.
Abilene State Supported Living Center
Abilene State Supported Living Center, located in Abilene, is home to approximately 500 people with developmental disabilities. Among amenities are two guest houses for visiting family members, a nature area, and a large park and playground area. The nature area and park are open to the public.
The site that was to become Abilene State School was originally a State Epileptic Colony. The project was launched in 1897 when Governor Joseph D. Sayers appointed a commission to select the site. The institution was to be patterned after the Craig Colony in New York, and was originally intended to house five hundred people.
Citizens of Abilene were eager to have the state select a nearby site, for the boost it would provide to the local economy. Since the water supply was poor, residents banded together to purchase land to build Lytle Lake. Citizens also donated $3,200 for the city to purchase 640 acres (2.6 km2) of land to be given to the state for the institution.The Texas legislature unanimously approved the site in February 1899.
Construction, coordinated by Dr. John Preston, cost $200,000. The project consisted of an administration building, a power plant, one hospital each for men and women, four cottages, and a residence for the superintendent. The State Epileptic Colony was officially opened on March 26, 1904, with a population of 104 patients. Some were admitted free, and others paid $5 a week for room, board, medication, and care. By August 1904, the population was 201.Dr. T.B.Bass served as superintendent from 1909 to 1943. During his tenure, droughts caused water shortages and hurt crop production. World War I siphoned off staff, and wartime inflation caused fiscal hardship. The institution faced outbreaks of flu, small pox, and measles.
In 1925, the State Epileptic Colony began admitting residents with mental illness as well as those with epilepsy. The name was changed to Abilene State Hospital.
The campus had expanded to sixty-three buildings by 1943, including officers' quarters, physicians' cottages, two hospitals, twenty-eight "wards", and a number of barns. The population of patients grew to 1,324.
Dr. Bass retired in 1943, and the institution went through a series of superintendents while the facility continued to expand. In 1949, the hospital began accepting African-American patients. Medical treatment was considered state-of-the-art, and the facility was self-sufficient. Mrs. May Corley, the hospital's first sociologist, said, "Everybody who lived and worked here had a job to do."
In 1957, the name of the facility was changed to Abilene State School, due to a shift in purpose to caring for people with developmental disabilities. This also allowed for the admission of children. M.J. Kelly, director for the State Board of Hospitals and Special Schools, said, "Instead of making these institutions places to retain patients, we intend to make them centers for curing patients and putting them on the road to recovery. We want all those children who can learn to receive the best of instruction." On October 31, 1963, President John F. Kennedy signed a bill providing federal aid for research, training, and rehabilitation for people with mental retardation throughout the country, which allowed increases in staff-to-patient ratios.
Any information would help but especially what the exact address was and or what the current exact address would be if it was still around or is still around. I also found this but still would like to have the address if anyone knows please.
ABILENE STATE SCHOOL
ABILENE STATE SCHOOL. Abilene State School is located on seventy-five acres just outside the southeast city limit of Abilene. The school is charged with the responsibility of caring for the mentally retarded citizens of 115 Texas counties. It was originally an epileptic colony authorized by the Twenty-sixth Texas Legislature in 1899, though it was actually established by the Twenty-seventh Legislature in 1901 with an appropriation of $50,000. Subsequent appropriations increased that figure to $250,000 for the construction of the colony.
The colony was built on a 640-acre tract of land donated by the city of Abilene. Brick buildings constructed on forty acres constituted the colony proper. Of the remaining 600 acres, 400 were under cultivation and 200 were in pasture. Dr. John Preston, the colony's first superintendent, admitted its first patients on March 26, 1904. Treatment was a combination of proper diet and hygiene, regular habits, and exercise. The state provided free treatment for indigent patients; others paid five dollars a week.
In 1919 the Texas legislature abolished the colony's original board of managers and replaced it with the state Board of Control. In 1925 Abilene State Hospital became the institution's new name, although the hospital continued to treat epileptics exclusively. In 1949 responsibility for the hospital was transferred to the Board for Texas State Hospitals and Special Schools. At that time the complex consisted of thirty wards and numerous associated buildings. That same year the legislature allowed the hospital to admit black patients, but none was actually admitted until the completion of two black wards in 1952. In 1957 the institution was renamed Abilene State School. The name change signified the new functions of the institution as a residential center for the mentally retarded citizens of Texas.
In 1963 the Abilene State School discontinued livestock operations. By 1964 fifteen single-story units had replaced the original structures. In 1965 the Texas legislature passed the Texas Mental Health and Mental Retardation Act. Subsequent legislation directed the school to intensify its efforts in caring for the mentally retarded. Also in 1965 the Board for Texas State Hospitals and Special Schools was abolished and replaced by the Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation. The new policy also deemphasized residential care in favor of a variety of outpatient and community-oriented services.
Because education and training of the mentally retarded are the focus of Abilene State School, the institution provides workshops for those clients with the capability to use them. Academic instruction for the clients takes place in two buildings under the supervision of the school's education department. In 1985, 325 clients received instruction in socialization, communication, and basic motor skills from eleven teachers. Employees give therapy and instruction in basic living skills continuously in the dormitories.
In 1993 Abilene State School had 720 clients and more than 1,700 workers with an annual payroll of $27 million. The completion of a new administration building, six cottage-type dormitories, and a chapel brought the number of buildings to about seventy-five, with a value of $17,671,000.
Board for Texas State Hospitals and Special Schools, Report (Austin, 1949–65). Margery Taylor, "The Establishment and Early History of the Abilene State School," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 37 (1961).