Search for content in message boards

James T Morgan in Tyler County Texas

Replies: 0

James T Morgan in Tyler County Texas

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 10:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Sep 2013 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: morgan durdin barclay mahaffey Nowlin Mann
I posted in the thread about the Barclays but, I also wanted to start my own thread on the Morgans.

I cannot find the parents of a James T Morgan, who married Elizabeth Durdin in Tyler County, Texas in 1859 and he died there in 1899... buried in Pilgrims Rest Cemetery. His son, David Crocket Morgan married Bettie Morgan Barclay..... so she became Bettie Morgan Barclay Morgan. The family folklore was that the Barclays and Morgans were good friends and the Barclays named their daughter after them.... and then she ended up marrying one. :)

David Crocket Morgan and Bettie Morgan moved away from the Tyler County area and ended up in Kleberg County, Texas. My great-grandmother Bertha Morgan was their daughter and she married Charles Williams Rosse. Their son, Oscar David Rosse was my grandfather. He married Gloria Ann May.

Would love to find more information on the James T Morgan Family!

I know that one of James T Morgan's other sons became a doctor in Sabine County, Texas. His name was Thomas Benton Morgan. I believe he had 5-6 kids total.

ETA (Edited to Add): that I found a whole slew of interesting records for James T Morgan on Fold3.com. He was active in the Confederate Army during the Civil War (Sargeant of Company A, Arizona Brigade out of Galveston) but, he apparently was also some kind of merchant who sold food and other goods to Confederate Hospitals and such. The age listed on his Muster Rolls coincides with the birth date on Census records and also his gravestone. Also, one of the Civil War records is a 30-day furlough granted from a doctor and, on that record it even provides his address in Woodville, Tyler County.

But, I still can't find any Census record with him listed with his parents....

This is the information I do have:

James T Morgan b. 24 May 1832, d. 29 Aug 1899
Elizabeth Bettie Durdin b. 30 Jun 1839, d. 26 Sep 1898
They were married on 25 Jun 1859 in Tyler County and had five children:

1. Maud Morgan (b. 1860) who married James Townsend Nowlin
2. James F Morgan (b. 1863) married Elizabeth Mann
3. David Crockett Morgan (b. 1866) married Bettie Barclay
4. Thomas Benton Morgan (b. 1869) married Allie Mahaffey
5. William E. Morgan (b. 1879) married Lillian Urath Harris

I also have death records for all James and Bettie's children. My tree is public on ancestry, if anyone wants to check for more details.

ETA 2 (20 August 2013): I believe I have found the parents of James T Morgan: Thomas Barber Morgan (1801-1879) and Eliza May Bruce Chivers (1807-?) of Georgia. Thomas and Eliza were married in Hancock County, GA in 1827. They appear on the Troup County, GA Census records from 1830-1870. I have found family trees listing their death place as Bainbridge, Decatur County, GA; however, I cannot find their burial place/records.

I have 8 children listed for them:

1. Charlotte Eliza Morgan b. 16 Oct 1826
2. Sarah Jane Morgan b. 12 Nov 1828
3. Frances Barber Morgan, b. 20 Jul 1830 - d. 18 Nov 1906
4. James Thomas Morgan, b. 24 May 1832 and d. 29 Apr 1899
5. Ellington John Morgan, b. 26 Sep 1836 d. 28 Jan 1910
6. David Crawley Morgan, b. 1840
7. Blanche "Fannie" Morgan, b. 1842 (married Emery Johnson) Died in 1909
8. William Sallard Morgan,b. 10 June 1844, d. 4 Dec 1844

Looking for more information on these descendants/siblings

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions