Search for content in message boards

Ervin family - 1850 onwards

Replies: 3

Ervin family - 1850 onwards

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 9:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ervin, Herring, Lowe, Hamilton
I'm looking for information on Jonas Lafayette Ervin (30 July 1857, Upshur County - 4 Apr 1931, Golthwaite, Mills County) & his parents. It seems their names are James Ervin (abt 1825 (Arkansas, Missouri, Georgia - all seen on the death certificates of Jonas Lafayette's siblings & children) so I'm unsure of actual location) & Sarah (possibly Sallie) Herring (about 1830 (Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina, Texas, Missouri - again all seen on the various death certificates) so I'm still unsure of where he was born).

Jonas married Mary Adeline Hamilton (1855, Texas -1933, Golthwaite, Mills County). They had several children (13 lived to adulthood).

Specifically I'm trying to trace Jonas' parents if at all possible. I'm seeing an 1850 Upsur County Census showing a J Ervin (24) married to an S Ervin (19). They're living right next door to a house full of Ervins, but the head of house is a McGee (possibly Mc??? - sometimes the handwriting is hard to decipher). I'm assuming that the S. Ervin next door (45 at the time of the census) is his mother, with his slightly younger sister (17) being engaged to McGee (?). All the Ervin children are shown as born in Arkansas, the youngest being 6, which would imply to me that her father died sometime between 1844 & 1850, thus to explain why S. Ervin is living in a house full of children, but without a husband.

Basically I'm hoping someone can help me find a death certificate, possibly a marriage certificate, a baptismal form, something that will help track down WHERE Jonas' parents were born & what their names are so I can then go looking in the right place.

Any help is gratefully, gratefully, appreciated! I can supply scans of the death certificates I've found so far with the various spellings & birth locations if you'd like.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rmschoon 10 Jan 2013 4:07AM GMT 
SPool24 10 Jan 2013 7:18AM GMT 
rmschoon 10 Jan 2013 1:02PM GMT 
HL2604 10 Jan 2013 4:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic