Search for content in message boards

Echols in VanZandt Co

Replies: 1

Re: Echols in VanZandt Co

Posted: 2 Mar 2014 12:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: echols, graham, mills
Here is what I've been able to but together, with my own notes and thoughts.

This family proves difficult to track. When records are found they left me with more questions than answers. May together we can all find the answers.

Robert H ECHOLS
Birth Mar 1868 in Alabama, USA
Death Unknown (Last location I find is 1900 census in Van Zandt County, Texas)

Parents:

Benjamin Franklin ECHOLS
Birth 1831 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, USA
Death Unknown (Last location I find is 1910 census ub Navarro County, Texas - listed in the household of E C Echols which I believe is Jefferson "Jeff" Benjamin ECHOLS)

Antoinette Unknown
Birth abt 1837 in Alabama, USA
Death Unknown (Last location I find is 1880 census in Morgan County, Alabama)

Now we're going to reverse things and post from the point of view of the father Benjamin F(ranklin) ECHOLS)

We first find him in the 1850 census for Tippah County, Mississippi living with his parents and siblings.

Year: 1850; Census Place: Dist. 2, Tippah county, Mississippi; Sheet: 801; Image: 15

Saml W Echolds M 50y Georgia
Elizabeth Echolds F 45y North Carolina
Benj F Echolds M 19y Tennessee
Mary W Echolds F 15y Alabama
William V Echolds M 13y Alabama
Caroline M Echolds F 10y Alabama
Marsha E Echols F 9y Alabama
Sarah Ann Echolds F 6y Mississippi
Nancy Echolds F 4y Mississippi

Benjamin's parents, Samuel & Elizabeth HATLEY Echols are found in 1860 still in Tippah County, Mississippi but he and his family are lost to records in 1860. At least as far as I can tell.

Next he shows up in 1870 in Rusk, Cherokee, Texas with wife Antonette and children.

Year: 1870; Census Place: Beat No. 4, Rusk, Cherokee, Texas; Page: 2; Post Office: Rusk; Image: 2

Benjamin F Echols M 40y Tennessee
Antonette Echols F 56y Alabama
Philip E Echols M 9y Alabama
Benjamin J Echols M 7y Alabama
Robert Echols M 1y Alabama
Simeon D Echols M 0y Texas
John V D Echols M 11y Alabama

Age for Antoinette transcribed wrong, should be 36 instead of 56.

A few new question arise with this record. First where John is placed, at the end and separate. This usually means either they were visiting or they belong to one parent but not the other. Since is last name is listed as Echols we can assume, if he his a son of Benjamin, he is his child.

I have yet to find anything that gives the maiding name for Antonette nor a marriage record.

From here on out you'll notice age descrepencies but I'll attempt to explain whey I feel one way or another about an issue.

Next with find Benjamin F in the 1880 census with wife and children. Now in 1870 we have Benjamin J 7 years old meaning in 1880 he should be 17. But in place of Benjamin J we now have Jefferson age 10. Same person or new child? I believe same person and the census record, as you will see with most concerning this family, are wrong. Also notice missing from 1880 are Simeon D & John V D (I can only find them in the 1870 census). And the age for Benjamin is transcribed as 54 but if you look at the actual image it is 50 which is closer to all the other records showing birth to be 1830/1831.

Year: 1880; Census Place: Beat 3 and 4, Morgan, Alabama; Page: 10

Benjamin Echols 54y Alabama
Antoinette Echols 43y Alabama
Phillip Echols 20y Alabama
Jefferson Echols 10y Alabama
Robert Echols 9y Alabama

We next find Benjamin F in the 1900 census in Van Zandt County, Texas and living with him is his son Robert H. He is listed as widowed.

Year: 1900; Census Place: Justice Precinct 7, Van Zandt County, Texas; Sheet Number: 9B; Enumeration District: 135; Image: 17

Head Benjamin Echols M 69y Tennessee Mar 1831
Son Robert H Echols M 32y Alabama Mar 1868

The next census record for 1910 in Navarro County, Texas is a bit confusing. The household head is listed as E C with spouse Annie and daughter Lola and son Elbert. Unless Jeff(erson) Benjamin ECHOLS has 4 first/middle names, two of which we are unaware of, then E C is actually Jeff that married Annie Laura MILLS. Lola is Lola Inez ECHOLS married Hubert Leonard Humphreys and is buried in California. Elbert is Elbert Henry ECHOLS Sr married Ruby Hazel HENDERSON.

Year: 1910; Census Place: Justice Precinct 1, Navarro County, Texas; Sheet Number: 15B; Enumeration District: 77; Image: 194

Head E C Echols M 44y Alabama
Wife Annie Echols F 38y Louisiana
Daughter Lola Echols F 14y Texas
Son Elbert Echols M 8y Texas
Father B F Echols M 80y Tennessee

NOTE: E C is apparently Jefferson "Jeff" Benjamin ECHOLS that married Annie Laura MILLS. Why he appears as E C in this census is unknown; unless the man had four (4) names - not uncommon. Jeff was born in Alabama so if E C is in fact Jeff (both of which are showing born in Alabama), why are the children Lola & Elbert in this census listing birth place of father as Tennessee?

That ends the tracking I have for Benjamin F(ranklin) Echols and Antonette.

Children:

John V D ECHOLS (1859-????) - shows only in the 1870 census, (whole family not found in 1860)
Philip L ECHOLS (1860-????) - m. Mary E Unknown (see note below)
Jefferson Benjamin ECHOLS (1864-1952) - m. Annie Laura MILLS
Robert H ECHOLS (1868-????) - Can't locate him after the 1900 census
Simeon D ECHOLS (1870-????) - shows only in the 1870 census, (whole family not found in 1860)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jefferson Benjamin ECHOLS (1864-1952) - m. Annie Laura MILLS

*****MARRIAGE RECORD*****
Name: J. B. Echols
Spouse's Name: Annie Mills
Event Date: 26 Dec 1887
Event Place: Navarro, Texas
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M73475-9
System Origin: Texas-EASy
GS Film number: 1034859
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Philip L ECHOLS (1860-????) - m. Mary E Unknown (see note below)

NOTE: Mary E Unknown was married first to a GRAHAM. The record for Mary & Philip L Echols lists her as Mary E Graham. In the 1900 Census she is listed a mother of 8 with 8 still living. Only three are listed in this census. I have not been successful at find the name of the first husband or the other 5 GRAHAM children. They all dissapear after the 1900 census even the named GRAHAM childen. Same for the son Selst, he is only found in the 1900 census.

*****MARRIAGE RECORD*****
Name: P. L. Echols
Spouse's Name: Mary E. Graham
Event Date: 24 Jan 1897
Event Place: Ellis, Texas
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M59170-4
System Origin: Texas-VR
GS Film number: 1034620
Reference ID: 2:R17J24

*****1900 CENSUS*****
Head T*Ll Echols M 40y Alabama May 1860
Wife Marry Echols F 26y Texas Aug 1873
Son Selst Echols M 2y Texas May 1888
Stepdaughter Birty Graham F 9y Texas Aug 1891
Stepdaughter Mirtle Graham F 7y Texas May 1893

NOTE: T*Ll is how FamilySearch.org has it transcribed. Using that with Echols will get you to the 1900 census. Looking at the image myself, I can see, probably because I know, that it looks like Philip.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sandra_D81 20 Dec 2001 1:15PM GMT 
Terry Echols 2 Mar 2014 7:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic