name: Jennie Norman married 21 June 1880 VZ Co M R J Norman b. MO 1845
event date: 18 Nov 1910
event place: Grand Saline, Van Zandt, Texas, United States
marital status: Widowed
birth date: 16 Dec 1850
father's name: Green Cason born GA
mother's name: Mary Williamson born GA
burial: Palestine Texas
certificate number: 16497
film number: 2050279
digital folder number: 005145419
image number: 03410
"Texas, Deaths (New Index, New Images), 1890-1976," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org
Nov 1850 Talbot Co GA
Green Casan M 24 Georgia
Mary Jane Casan F 15 Georgia married S Q Richardson 06 July 1860 VZ County
Elizabeth Casan Acker Ridgell Georgia 1850
06 JULY 1860; Census Place: Sabine, Van Zandt, Texas; Roll: M653_1307; Page: 40; Image: 83; Family History Library Film: 805307.
S Q Richardson 32 born Kentucky proprietor of salt works real estate $28,300 personal wealth $22,000
Mary J Cassin 37 GA
E Cassin ACKER RIDGELL 10 GA
Virginia "Jennie" Cassin NORMAN 9 GA
Martha E Cassin O'HARA 8 GA
Emma Cassin TODD McCullough Rusk Co TX 1855
Jno Cassin 11/12 TX
1870 Pct 2, Van Zandt TX
Saml Q Richardson M 42y Kentucky salt mfg co $60,000/$15,000
Mary Richardson F 39y Georgia
Elizabeth (Cason) Richardson F 20y Georgia
Virginia/Jennie (Cason)Richardson F 19y Georgia
Martha Emma (Cason) Richardson Georgia 25 Dec 1852 married as Richardson to John G O'Hara 22 Dec 1875 VZ Co died in Grand Saline 08 May 1934 buried in Greenwood, Dallas TX 09 May 1934 father Cason mother Williamson. J C McCollough informant.
Emma (Cason) Richardson F 15y Texas
Mary H Richardson LONG F 9y Texas - 1919 Dallas
Sarah J "Sallie" Richardson FIELDER Texas 13 Jul 1866 - 31 May 1935 Grand Saline, buried Woodside Cem. Fred Fielder b. 1892, Henderson TX informant. Find no marriage record.
Susan Frances "Fannie" Richardson SHADDEN F 1y Texas - 1942 Dallas
Dora E Richardson SPALDING F 6m Texas born Mar or May - died 1908 buried Oakland Cem Dallas
Samuel Richardson M 6m Texas ditto must have died bfr 1880
Edmond Williamson M 73y Georgia 1797
Thomas J Acker VA 1834-1836 farm laborer was in Smith Co TX 1860 which borders Van Zandt co on the east.
1880 Dallas, TX
self S. Q. Richardson M 51 Kentucky, market gardener, salt producer and ice plant owner, parents b. VA
wife Mary Richardson F 48 Georgia,
daughter Mary H. Richardson LONG F 19 Texas, buried Oakland Cem Dallas died 01 Jan 1918
daughter Sarah J. Richardson F 13 Texas,
daughter (Susan Frances) "Fannie" Richardson SHADDEN F 11 Texas, abt 1893 married Wm B Shadden b. KY or MO abt 1870 first living in Justice Precinct 4 (part north of r.r.), Van Zandt, TX 1900 then moved to Dallas. Susan Frances Shadden 04 Mar 1868 - 07 Apr 1943 Dallas, father Sml Q Richardson mother unknown is buried Grove Hill Cem in Dallas, Mrs. John H (Anna Mae Shadden) Sommers informant both lived at 3011 Roscoe St. Wm B Shadden died 28 Sept 1929 buried Grove Hill and dtr Thelma Wylie Shadden born Grand Saline 19 Jul 1907 - 28 Dec 1966 also buried Grove Hill.
daughter Dora Ella Richardson F 10 Texas, reported marriage to James Morris Spalding in 1895 death in Kaufman Co 10 Oct 1908 Kaufman Co buried Oakland Cem in Dallas; J M Spalding 1868 IA or MN - 1931, James Cash Spalding Sr 1896-1965 Dallas, George C Spalding 05 Oct 1900 - 26 Feb 1925, listed in Dallas ward 7 1900 census as Spaulding. 2nd wife of J M Spalding, Anice b. IN 1875. Certificate of George C Spalding says mother was Dora Richardson, buried Oakland Cem
step daughter Emma Todd F 25 Georgia,
step grnd dtr daughter Anna Todd 9 mos born Sept 1879, father b. Iowa ?
I do not find any of the above Richardson dtrs marrying in VZ Co if they married in Dallas there are no records on "familysearch.org."
S. Q. Richardson listed in Dallas directory listings thru 1889 as salt manufacturer, office corner of Ervay & Harrison ave, also shows to be operating ice factory in 1884 +.
Name: Samuel Q Richardson
Residence Year: 1894
Residence Place: NW corner of Richardson & Reagan Aves,Dallas, Texas
Occupation: Real Estate Owner
Publication Title: Dallas, Texas, City Directory, 1894
Address 1891, 121 Richardson Ave
I'm thinking they married in Dallas County.
Mary H Richardson Long
Birth: Feb., 1870
Death: Jan. 1, 1918
Mrs. Mary H. Long, 57 years old, widow of S. S. Long, died yesterday at her home, 1802 Richardson Avenue. Mrs. Long, who was a daughter of the late S. Q. Richardson, had resided in Dallas almost all her life. She is survived by one son, Ben H. Long, and four sisters, Mrs. Fannie Shadden of Dallas, and Mrs. Sallie Fielder, Mrs. Emma McCullough, and Mrs. Martha O'Hair of Grand Saline. Funeral services will be held at the residence at 10 o'clock this morning, with burial in Oakland Cemetery. Dallas News 01 - 02 - 1918
D. cert: dau of S. Q. Richardson & Mary J. Todd.
Samuel S. Long (1857 - 1915)
Samuel Q. Long (1887 - 1916)*
Benjamin Harrison Long (1890 - 1948)*
Created by: Carol Moore
Record added: Oct 06, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 59702965
1880 VZ Co
self J. G. O'Hara M 28 New York, farming
wife Martha O'Hara F 28 Georgia, 1852 parents GA
son Matt O'Hara M 3 Texas
1880 VZ Co
self A. G. Ridgill (Ridgell) M 33 Alabama, 1847 SC GA married Elizabeth Acker 01 Apr 1875 VZ Co
other Elzabeth Ridgill F 29 Texas,
step son Ed Acker M 8 Texas, 1872 father VA
daughter Gussie Ridgill F 5 Texas, 1875
daughter Winnie Ridgill F 3 Texas, 1877
daughter Dora Ridgill F 0 Texas, 1880
1900 Justice Precinct 4 (part north of r.r.), Van Zandt, Texas
head Sam Q Richardsen M 72 Kentucky June 1828 marriage 07 Nov 1896 VZ Co owner of salt works - reported death in 1900 per below story
wife Willie H/D WHITWORTH 20 Mississippi July 1879 - ? remarried 08 Nov 1908 to Orbie Reed
daughter Willie M Richardsen Aug 1897 ? married Earl Persons 03 Apr 1917
1900 Justice Precinct 4 (part north of r.r.), Van Zandt
head Emma M Ohara Georgia Dec 1851 widow bore one child
son Mathiew Ohara Texas Feb 1876
1900; Census Place: Justice Precinct 4, Van Zandt, Texas; Roll: 1675; Page: 11A; Enumeration District: 0131; FHL microfilm: 1241675.
Alva Filder 42 MS Apr 1853 married 10 yrs
Sallie Filder 33 bore 4 children 3 living
Fred M Filder 8 Nov 1891 married Pearl Hewitt 18 Feb 1912
Robert M Filder 7 Dec 1892
William Richardson Filder 06 Oct 1896 - 11 Jul 1967 Los Angeles CA
Price Alvin/Alvin Price Filder 13 Apr 1887 TX - 1919 buried Woodside married Hattie Elliott 21 Sept 1907 (1888-1969) buried Woodside
1900; Census Place: Justice Precinct 4, Van Zandt, Texas; Roll: 1675; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 0132; FHL microfilm: 1241675.
Jas C Mccollough Sept 1852 AL/SC/GA married 9 yrs but no in VZ Co
Eramer McCollough Oct 1855 TX stated bore no children said parents born AL
1900 Dallas city ward 6, Dallas
head Angus G Ridgwell/Ridgell/Ridgill Alabama May 1845 lived in Bullock Co AL in 1870
wife Elizebeth Ridgwell Georgia Nov 1851 bore 8 children 7 living
stepson Edwin J Acker Texas Feb 1873 father VA married 2 yrs
stepdaughter in law Rose McClemore Acker TX or Water Valley, MS May 1880; son James E "Jim" Acker 23 Nov 1904 Grand Saline - 26 Nov 1932 Houston TX buried county Cem married Kathleen White. The Acker's lived VZ Co 1910. James was a musician, died of gunshot wound to chest, death certificate gives alias name of Jack White.
daughter Augusta "Gussie" RIDGELL Vann Texas Apr 1874-1876 married VZ Co 21 Feb 1896 died in Dallas 23 Dec 1912 buried Oakland Cemetery
son-in-law Henry Clay Vann Alabama Feb 1877 - 26 Apr 1943 San Angelo, Tom Green Co wife 1920 & 1930 Etta Pearl Newman b. TX 1894, dtr Ray Etta Mae Vann 19 Oct 1920 San Angelo. Tom Green Co 1920 - 1930. Etta's mother "Mandy Newman" b. AL abt 1868 in 1920 household.
son-in-law Winefred John Randolph Texas Jul 1873 married 3 yrs
daughter Winifred Randolph Texas May 1878
daughter Dora Ridgewell Texas Apr 1880
daughter Gugale Ridgewell Texas Oct 1882
daughter Gwendoline Ridgewell Texas June 1885
son John William Ridgewell/Ridgill Eddy, Texas June 1887 - 27 Sept 1937, 326 Ohio Ave, Mercedes, Hidalgo Co TX at his home, single, father A G Ridgill born "Eufalla" AL, mother Elizabeth Cason. Mrs. J O (Dora Ridgell) Chisholm of Mercedes informant, buried in Mercedes.
female A J Ridgell married M G Hinchcliff 25 May 1902 VZ Co
Dora Ridgill Chisholm 05 Oct 1879 - 22 Oct 1949 Mercedes buried Ebony Grove in Mercedes, Mrs. Nan Morgan informant who appears to be niece in law who returned to Mercedes after 1940? wife of Roy West Morgan who was son of Gadule Ridgell.
name: Roy West Morgan
death date: 30 Jul 1936
death place: Dallas, Dallas, Texas
death age: 36 years 5 months 7 days
estimated birth date:
birth date: 23 Feb 1900 ? 1901 ?
marital status: Married
spouse's name: Nan (Nannie E Black) Morgan of Crystal Springs AR
father's name: John Morgan
father's birthplace: Texas
mother's name: Gadule Ridgell
mother's birthplace: Texas
occupation: Painter-Construction Co.
place of residence: Crystal Springs, Arkansas
cemetery: Dallas Cemetery
burial date: 31 Jul 1936
film number: 2116937
digital film number: 4166607
image number: 3434
reference number: Cn 35237
1910 JP 4 VZ TX
self Sallie Fielder F 43y Texas widow
son Fred Fielder M 18y Texas father MS
son Robert Malcom Fielder Grand Saline 11 Dec 1892 - 13 Jul 1961 Garland TX, lived in Richardson, Dallas Co, buried Woodside Cem, widower, Mrs. Richard L Carpenter stepdtr informant. He registered WWI draft in Dallas Co
son William Fielder M 13y Texas
1910 JP 4, VZ Co
self James C Mccullough M 57y Alabama (father Thos D SC 1823/mother Sarah L 1832 GA lived Columbia Co AR 1870) married once 19 yrs.
wife Emma Mccullough Rusk Co Texas 24 Oct 1855 married 2 times - 04 May 1943 VZ Co parents unknown buried Grand Saline widowed bore one child who was decsd by 1910
widowed sister in law Martha E O'Hara F 58y Georgia bore 1 child who was decsd by 1910
widowed sister in law Elizabeth Ridgell F 60y Georgia bore 6 children all living
cousin Lizzie Lincoln ? 40 TX widow no children
niece Winnie Randolph 33 TX AL GA
Angus Randolph 06 TX
Allen Randolph 04 TX
1920 VZ TX
self Mrs. A Fielder F 54y Texas
son Fred Fielder M 28y Texas
Pearl C Fielder F 26y Texas 1893 - 1976 buried Woodside
Alvie Alton Fielder M 6y Texas 1914 - 1920 buried Woodside
Melvin Edward Fielder M 1y9m Texas
son William Fielder M 23y Texas
Billy Fredrick Fielder 1921 TX - 1956 son of Fredric and Pearl
. . .the Fielder's lived in Henderson, Rusk Co 1935 and Shreveport LA 1940. Billy Fredrick also buried Woodside
1920 Harris Co TX
self Winnie Randolph Jan 1878 Grand Saline - 15 Sept 1933 Houston can't make out where she was buried.
son Angus George Randolph M 16y Texas 07 Aug 1903 - 11 Nov 1962 Harris Co enlisted 14 Sept 1942 in Houston married Mabel b. TX abt 1909 lived with Mabel's married sister Ola Gertrude "Savoisk/Savoie" in Houston 1940 they divorced before he died, a Mrs. Mabel L White was informant.
son Allen G Randolph Dallas Texas 28 Aug 1905 - 13 Nov 1961 Houston, went to prison for ? in Fort Bend Co 1930 & Harris Co 1940 prison system was married in 1940 record and was divorced when he died, brother was informant.
married sis Dora Chisholm F 40y Texas
name: Fredrick Maurice Fielder
death date: 28 Jul 1956
death place: Houston, Harris, Texas
death age: 64 years 8 months 3 days
estimated birth date:
birth date: 25 Nov 1891
marital status: Married
father's name: Alva Price Fielder
father's birthplace: Texas
mother's name: Sallie Richardson
mother's birthplace: Texas
occupation: Drilling Contractor
place of residence: Houston, Harris, Texas
cemetery: Grand Saline (Woodside)
burial place: Grand Saline, Texas
burial date: 31 Jul 1956
film number: 2114767
digital film number: 4165139
image number: 2893
reference number: cn 36957
Citing this Record
"Texas, Deaths, 1890-1976," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org
1930 Dallas - 1940 Grand Saline VZ Co
head Robert Fielder M 37 Texas
wife Angie S Fielder 05 Jul 1890 Cleburne TX - 14 Sept 42 Grand Saline father Peirce Lewis "Grooms" mother Patience Spayberry buried Woodside in unmarked grave
bro in law Huey "Grumes" TX 1895 in household 1940
name: William Richardson Fielder
event date: 19 Dec 1923
event place: Orange, California, United States
estimated birth year: 1896
father: Alva Fielder
spouse: Rose Anderson Taylor
spouse's age: 37
spouse's gender: Female
spouse's estimated birth year: July 1886
spouse's father: Charles P Anderson 1835 AR married 1856
spouse's mother: Ellington (Martha J) 1835 TN
film number: 2050936
digital folder number: 005698135
image number: 01239
Citing this Record
"California, County Marriages, 1850-1952," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org
1930 - 1940 Compton, LA Co CA, 432 West Poplar St
head William R Fielder Texas 1895 motorman / electric railroad
wife Rose A Fielder Arkansas 1885
stepson Key Wesley Taylor Arkansas 30 Jul 1907 - 10 Mar 1975 Louisburg, Franklin Co NC father John W Taylor mother Rose Anderson who married in Magazine, Logan Co AR 02 May 1906 father was 21 at time of marriage.
1930 Mercedes, Hidalgo, TX
head Roy W Morgan M 30 Texas
wife Morgan F 25 Arkansas
son William Roy Morgan M 4 Arkansas
son Dudley Walton Morgan 16 Jan 1929 Mercedes, Hidalgo TX father Roy West Morgan mother Nannie Elizabeth Black
R W Morgan age 24 and N E Black age 20 married 03 Jan 1925 Hot Springs, Garland Co AR. Roy W and Dudley W Morgan lived with their Black grandparents, Wm H b. AR 1872 & Willie A b. TX 1882 in Garland Co AR 1940 census and their uncle Sheridan F Black b. 1914 AR. Their mother was living in Fort Smith/Upper township, Sebastian Co AR in 1940 employed as a nurse. Dudley Morgan died Garland Co AR Jul 1973.http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fri53
RICHARDSON, SAMUEL Q. (1828–1900). Samuel Q. Richardson, Van Zandt County saltmaker and county judge, the son of S. Q. and Mary (Harrison) Richardson, was born in Frankfort, Kentucky, in 1828. He was raised in Bourbon County, Kentucky, and Van Buren County, Iowa, after which he began farming. He moved to Texas in 1848 and settled in Rusk County, where he established a mill. He served as Rusk County deputy sheriff in 1851 and 1852, engaged in freighting in East Texas, and was briefly a clerk in Shreveport, Louisiana. In 1853 he established a mill at Henderson and in 1856 a steam sawmill at Tyler. In 1859 Richardson moved to Van Zandt County, where he bought 4,000 acres of land at Saline Prairie, including the salt-manufacturing operations of Frederick J. Hamm, and engaged in saltmaking. During the Civil War Richardson enlisted in Company I of the Twenty-second Infantry, served in Louisiana and Texas, and spent some time in the North. His wife ran the saltworks in his absence, and for a time it was used by federal forces. After the war Richardson returned to Van Zandt County, where he was appointed chief justice and resumed salt production. He produced as much as 200 to 300 bags a day but in 1875 leased his salt works to a St. Louis company organized by G. M. Overlease. Richardson moved to Dallas in 1878, bought fifteen acres on the Houston and Texas Central Railroad for an ice plant, and operated it for several years. He also laid out Richardson's Addition, which became part of the city. After living for a time in Dallas, he returned to Grand Saline, where he established the first deep well to pierce the rock-salt bed and established a salt plant on the Texas and Pacific Railroad that he operated until his death. In 1892 Richardson installed steam lines to increase salt production to 600 barrels a day. His plant was across the railroad tracks from the site of the present southeast corner of Grand Saline. In 1860 Richardson married Mary J. Casen, with whom he had four children, and in 1896 he married Willie Whitworth, with whom he had one child. He died in 1900 and was buried in Dallas. After his death, the salt plant passed through several changes of management and ownership. Heirs of the estate sold their holdings in 1904 to the Grand Saline Salt Company, organized by Emerson Carey and J. Kirk, and in 1920 it became part of the Morton Salt Company.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Margaret Elizabeth Hall, A History of Van Zandt County (Austin: Jenkins, 1976). Wentworth Manning, Some History of Van Zandt County (Des Moines, Iowa: Homestead, 1919; rpt., Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1977). William Samuel Mills, History of Van Zandt County (Canton, Texas, 1950). Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
Thos D Mccullough M 47y South Carolina
Sarah L Mccullough F 38y Georgia
James C Mccullough M 16y Alabama
John D Mccullough M 14y Alabama
Jacob L Mccullough M 12y Alabama
David Mccullough M 9y Arkansas
Marion Mccullough M 7y Arkansas
Albert L Mccullough M 3y Arkansas
"City's salt tradition began with indians by Mary Haas
transcribed from the June 5, 1980 issue of The Grand Saline Sun
by B. Miller, 1999 donated by David Monk (deceased), Grand Saline, Texas http://www.vanzandttx.org/tradition.htm
The salt industry at Grand Saline began even before Texas gained its independence from Mexico in 1836. The first salt produced here was manufactured by the Cherokee Indians, who seeing the ground covered with a white frosting of saline matter and that the water in the small lakes was brackish, called the area Saline Prairie.
From the water, the Indians manufactured salt by boiling salty water in iron kettles until the water was all evaporated, leaving the salt behind. Then they carried the salt to Nacogdoches and sold it to merchants.
Tradition has it that Indians came for miles in every direction to Grand Saline for salt, used sometimes to remedy rheumatism. This trade soon attracted industrialists and land speculators and they began to search for the salt lands where the Indians were bringing the product from.
A man named Jordan discovered the Saline Prairie and marked a trail to it. Then in 1845 he and Allen T. McGee acquired title to the land and called the place Jordan Saline.
With two iron wash pots brought from Nacogdoches as equipment, they began to manufacture salt. They added more pots and increased their output as demand increased. They continued this until 1849 when McGee was appointed postmaster.
According to the History of Van Zandt County, written by W. S. Mills, the earliest most worthy and progressive citizens reached the county by the 1850s. Among these were the Jordans, Kuykendalls, Horsley, McGee and others.
By act of the legislature on March 20, 1848, Van Zandt County was created out of territory of Henderson County, and by the same act Jordan's Saline was designated as the county's capitol for two years.
When Wood and Rains Counties were cut off from Van Zandt in 1850 and made separate counties, fixing Van Zandt's boundaries as at present, it came necessary to locate a new county seat nearer to the geographical center of the county.
In December, 1857 Hamm bought out Jordan and McGee's interest and continued salt manufacturing by iron kettles.
The output of salt then was small because of poor transportation facilities and crude manufacturing.
In 1859 Samuel Richardson, a Kentucky native, bought out the salt manufacturing industry conducted by Frederick Hamm and began to manufacture salt. On the southern portion of the prairie he erected his furnace on an elevation at the foothill. He put down a well on the prairie above the head water lake and put in a mule-powered pump.
In 1872 the Texas and Pacific Railroad was extended from Marshall to Dallas, passing through Jordan's Saline. A depot was erected and the name of the settlement was changed to Grand Saline.
When the Civil War came, the salt works was taken over by the Confederate government, and returned to Richardson after the war was over, in 1867.
Without a doubt (Margaret Hall states in her book History of Van Zandt County,) salt was the major wartime county industry. But who directed operations those four years is unclear.
To convey the brine from the well to the furnace or kettles Richardson built a pipe by boring sweet gum logs from 10 to 16 feet and pinned them together to make a continuous tube.
After moving to Dallas, where he laid out Richardson addition, he returned to Grand Saline to put down the first deep well, piercing the rock salt bed several hundred feet. He put in a salt plant on the Texas and Pacific Railroad, which he operated until his death in 1900.
In the latter eighties, a Major Byron Parsons of South Bend, Ind., came to town with the idea of putting in a modern salt mine, hoping to turn out salt for table and dairy purposes. But Richardson had a monopoly of the salt land and wouldn't sell to anyone.
Richardson wanted a depot for Grand Saline, so he deeded 50 acres of land, where the town now lies, to Gen. Granville M. Dodge of Iowa.
Dodge laid out the land in blocks and lots as they appear today. A few lots west of Main Street running north from the depot had been sold, but most of that part of the town still belonged to the Texas and Pacific Railroad, and was wild wood.
Parsons contracted with the Texas and Pacific for its holdings in the western half of the original town of Grand Saline on the condition he could find salt there.
Parsons took a small room in the old depot while he put in a test well, and in deep tangled wild wood, he discovered solid rock salt.
His salt plant contained a barrel factory and dairy salt plant, and was called Lone Star Salt Company. Later Parsons severed his relationship with the company and it then was bought by Morton Salt.
By 1929 Morton Salt had opened a salt mine 1-1/2 miles south of a small town called Kleer Mine. For years two iron kettles used to boil down brine from the marsh in early days, were placed along Hwy 80 at town boundaries. One has since disappeared. The other sits in front of Westward Ho Motel to this day. One was said to be one of the two Jordan brought to Grand Saline in 1849.
A year later Richardson also installed steam lines in his pans, and salt production increased to about 600 barrels a day. This increased salt production, bought (sic) about increased population, and on December 16, 1895, Grand Saline became incorporated.
Grand Saline recorded a number of firsts shortly before incorporation.
The first school in Van Zandt County was taught by James H. Kuykendall in winter 1849-50, five miles south of Grand Saline.
In 1873, Richardson opened the first general store in Grand Saline. The first school building was erected about 1890 where the city hall now stands. The first Methodist Church was on O'Hara Street with Rev. Large pastor, while the first newspaper was printed in 1893 by J. B. Spinks, with H. B. Baird as printer's devil.
The first brick buildings here were erected by T. B. Meeks in 1890 and by J. E. Persons.
A. Wilderspin was first mayor, T. B. Beeks (sic), Dr. Kuykendall, Lou Sparks, George Scott, John Yarbrough and T. M. Joslin were first councilmen. L Jones was chosen its first city marshall.
By 1901 the Fielder Salt Company organized south of the Lone Star Company followed by the Southern Salt Company in 1903.
Then in 1904, B. W. Carrington and Company bought Fielder Salt Company holdings.
During this time, the Richardson plant passed through several changes of management and ownership before Richardson's death in 1900.
The Grand Saline Salt Company was organized in 1904, from Richardson holdings, but the company was short lived. In 1917 the plant was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt and put in operation again only to be destroyed by fire once more in 1919.
The plant never was rebuilt and the holdings of the company were sold to Morton Salt Company in 1920.
In the meantime, B. W. Carrington and Company continued to operate the Fielder and Lone Star plants until 1913. But in 1920, Morton Salt took over holdings of B. W. Carrington and Company. It has operated the plant ever since.
In 1929 Morton Salt decided to open a mine in the salt dome to meet the demand for grades of rock salt. After prospecting, a shaft was started about 1-1/4 miles south of Grand Saline.
The surface plant was completed and the mine put in operation January 28, 1931.
By 1929 Morton Salt prepared to mine rock salt from extensive underground deposits. Early in 1929 it bought a 140-acre tract one mile south of town.
That same year oil was discovered in Van and afterwards independent entrepreneurs and five New York companies, which later consolidated, secured land between Grand Saline and the Sabine River but both failed to strike oil.
But Grand Saline did prosper as a result of the oil discovery. By October 24, 1929, 12 petroleum supply companies, five lumber yards and several warehouses opened, and G. W. Greene opened an "electric shop."
To meet demands for improved transportation, the Texas and Pacific Railroad increased shipments from 12 to 40 cars, Delta Airways scheduled regular stops on a graded runway and Red Line taxis carried passengers to Van.
Western Union opened an office in M & M Hotel and Southwestern Telephone rebuilt local lines. A White way - street lighting - was installed in business and residential areas.
During the Depression the county received federal aid to help alleviate hard times, and in 1935 because road improvements were needed a $45,000 WPA grant graveled and asphalted streets in Grand Saline. Persons from around the county were employed to build sewers in town and in 1937 sewing rooms opened in Grand Saline.
In 1948, the era of salt plants in town died when the B. W. Carrington plant burned to the ground. It was located where Brookshires Grocery now stands.
Morton Salt then moved its evaporating plant adjacent to the rock salt plant. This plant was completed and operating by May, 1950 and by 1953, Van Zandt County was noted as the greatest salt producer in Texas."