Search for content in message boards

Tomkins-Huntsman-Spivey-White connections 1850s-1870s

Replies: 2

Re: Tomkins-Huntsman-Spivey-White connections 1850s-1870s

Posted: 4 Aug 2013 12:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am so excited to hear from you! I had circumstantial evidence that Mary Tompkins/Tomkins was a daughter of William and Jane Dillard, but your response confirms it! My 3rd great grandmother was Minerva Huntsman (married to William Cheatham Huntsman). My great aunt had stories of her grandmother (Louisa Huntsman Sandlin)and insists that William Huntsman married a "Miss Dillard of Lovelady, Texas" and that Minerva's maiden name was Dillard (perhaps French, as Great Aunt Vera said that the name was pronounced "De Lard". Louisa's eldest sister, Jenny Huntsman married Stephen White (buried in Spivey-White cemetery). Minerva and William Huntsman both died in the early to mid 1860s (William possibly in the Civil War; Minerva probably in childbirth with the youngest daughter). The 1870 census for Walker County, Texas shows Louisa and her siblings living with Mary Tompkins and her son George. My assumption was that they were related in some way to Mary but for the life of me, I can't find documented proof of Minerva's maiden name or parentage. In the 1850 & 1860 census of Houston County Texas she is listed as wife of William Huntsman, but she gives conflicting information on her age and place of birth in these two documents. I am planning a trip to Huntsville and Crockett Texas later this fall to see if I can find any definitive documentation in the local records. I use Family Tree Maker 7.0 so I will see if I can peel off the relevant information into a file that I can send to you. I also have information on Ancestry.com under "Keel Family Tree". I would love to share files/info with you, if you could send me your email. I believe both our 3rd Great Grandmothers were sisters! Thank you for your response and I will look forward to sharing with you. Barbara Pinkney
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
thepinkneys1 21 Mar 2013 11:08PM GMT 
2736rhonea 4 Aug 2013 3:56AM GMT 
thepinkneys1 4 Aug 2013 6:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions