Search for content in message boards

Robert Spence, died 4 Jan 1900 Hempstead

Replies: 2

Robert Spence, died 4 Jan 1900 Hempstead

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Spence, Major, Close
I am looking for details of Robert Spence born 1812 in Yorkshire, England and who arrived in Hempstead in 1867 from Houston where he had lived for two years. During this time in Houston he apparently married a widow Mary Major [her first husband being Isaac Major]. According to an article I read taken from Indian Wars and Pioneers of Texas" by John Henry Brown [pub.1880]Robert worked as a clerk and kept books in a store. After settling in Hempstead he "engaged in merchandising, at which he has since prospered. He is now and has been for many years one of the most substantial citizens of that thrifty inland city. Mr and Mrs Spence have adopted and reared two grandchildren, C. M. and W. S. Close."
Robert had been married before and had a daughter who became a Sister of Charity and died in Mobile, Alabama.
C.M. and W.S. Close are I assume the grandchildren of Mary and Isaac Major.
Robert Spence and his second wife are buried in Hempstead Cemetery and I have photos of their headstones. Mary had died in 1893.
Robert had a brother William [a grocer]who according to the same article lived in Hempstead for a while before returning to England sometime in the 1870's.
Thank you,
Julia
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
crawleyj 21 Mar 2013 1:05AM GMT 
PaSain 22 Mar 2013 12:56AM GMT 
crawleyj 26 Mar 2013 12:35AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions