1) When did James Clayton Stribling 1826-1900 come to Texas?
2) Was he in Tx prior to February 19, 1846, when Tx was Republic?
3) Are there Texas school teacher records for 1840's to 1850's?
4) Where do I find church records?
5) A Stribling is shown at the church in Independence, but I don't have a name. Where do I check?
KNOWN: James Clayton Stribling born June 30, 1826 in Lawrenceburg, Lawrence Co., TN. Supposed to have taught school in Washington, Fayette, & Bastrop Counties, TX. His mother died in 1836 in Lawrence Co, TN. His father lived to 1867 in TN.
Enlisted in US Army 1 Texas Mounted Rifles for 6 months at Brenham, Washington Co, TX, joined for duty and enrolled May 16, 1846. Muster in - to date June 7th, 1846. Private, US Army, Roll dated Point Isabel Tex, June 11, 1846. Served under Captain Frank S. Early, Company F - Texas Volunteers in the Mexican War, 1 Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles (J.C. Hays)
A "J Striblin" is in Fayette County in 1850 census, so we are most interested in 1840-1846. I found a Stribling in the 1845 Washington Co Tax Rolls.