Search for content in message boards

Gillespy/Sayles bef. 1850

Replies: 10

Re: Sayles, McAlpine, Perry, Gates

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 8:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Don't know who might be interested but below is a blurb my dad wrote mentioning a Mrs. Sayles from his early childhood in Texas.

========================================
A BIT OF MY MEMOIRS - SUMMERS AT GRANDMA'S
--------------------------------------------------------
When I was 8 or 9, Summer time and vacation from school was always a sort of magic experience for me.

That's when Daddy took me on the train from our home at Yoakum to Brenham and then to the old family farm near Independence, to spend the whole summer there.

The place has always seemed " my home" to me as it included the old house we lived in from 1914 to 1917, at the time of your life when you can save up a lot of memories of things that go into shaping your life.

Others of my cousins joined me in those summers; Mary Caroline Saunders, James Lee Montgomery and his little sister, Mary Willie.

Uncles Bob, Frank and Hugh were busy helping Grandpa with the farm crops. We kids mostly just played. were promptly on hand at mealtimes, kept out of the way of the grownups, fed the chickens and gathered eggs, took turns fat churning the milk for Grandma and watching her gather up the butter in the churn and mold it into nice one-pound blocks with her old wooden butter mold.

We made ourselves useful going out to the woodyard, and gathering chips and sticks of wood to feed Grandma's cookstove which seemed to be constantly in use. Her day started before daylight, to get breakfast for the men so they could milk the cows, draw water from the deep rope-and-pulley-and-bucket water well and then feed the livestock to get ready for their days' work.

No electricity in those days. no radio, not even a windmill or hand pump.

I have some photographic memories of many things of that period. A special privilege was turning the huge hand crank on the milk separator so the boys could take the cream in to Brenham to the creamery. (That's the antecedent of the "Little Creamery" that is now the Blue Bell Ice Cream Company).

Saturdays were trips in the buggy with Grandma over to Aunt Kate's and Uncle Squire's house at Independence, to take and pick up the laundry Kate did for us. It was great fun to go pick figs from their huge fig tree that shaded the little house and yard.
This couple had been "born in slavery". Kate's mother Mary had stayed on after emancipation with Grandma's family (the Willie family) and she had died a few years earlier.

Our grandma was "Miss Carrie" and Grandpa was "Mr. Lee" (Booker) to everybody round Independence.

Sundays were clean-up and dress-up day, and ride in the buggy with Grandpa to the old Gay Hill Presbyterian Church , seven miles away. The congregation was small then and had no regular preacher., and Grandpa served as the leader of services, calling out the songs as Mrs. Sayles played the old pump organ.

Mrs. Sayles was our Sunday School teacher and we had class in one corner of the building while the grownups had theirs on the other side. I recall that I was on the "Cradle Roll" dating from our earlier residence.

Mrs. Sayles taught us to hold still and listen to and recite the Catechism. She always brought pieces of chewing gum to give us and that helped make Christians of us from early age.

I was proud of Grandpa being such an important man. The only trouble was that we kids had to tell him what all we had learned on the way home. It made us listen up and learn to speak and think. These were times for him to not only reinforce the religious teachings but also for him to pass on to us young-'uns much family lore and history - our heritage.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JANEHP 8 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Jan_Kelm 6 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
JANEHP 6 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
landfrichards... 6 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Mawmawjulie 15 Apr 2013 3:39AM GMT 
janwkelm 3 May 2013 3:03AM GMT 
Mawmawjulie 3 May 2013 4:58AM GMT 
maggiesmith19... 24 Sep 2013 4:32PM GMT 
Jan_Kelm 25 Sep 2013 12:41AM GMT 
bookertib 10 Oct 2013 2:10AM GMT 
per page