Search for content in message boards

Hahn Village

Replies: 0
Posted: 8 Feb 2013 1:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Corder Britton Lampkin Glaze Garner Henderson Wiginton Jacobs Clark Millican Putnam Rainoshek Young Lucas Lyons Amman Allenson Smith Braddock
Hello,

I'm researching the now-extinct Hahn Village, about 12 miles northwest of El Campo, near the Colorado border. From what I understand, it started in the late 1890s but was mostly gone by 1950. When I started researching my ancestors who lived there, I quickly discovered that I had quite an extended family in that area (Precincts 6, 7, and 8) and many were buried in the Hahn Cemetery, which is still located there. From what I understand, the school, church, and store(s) are no longer there.

Unfortunately, many of the people who remember the community have passed on but, I'm hoping to find someone who either grew up there or had ties to the community that remembers it. I have a huge photo album that my gr-grandmother Maud Wiginton Henderson created in circa 1915-1920. There are about 150 photos in the album and many I cannot identify who are in the photo. I also have a 1926 photo of the students at the Hahn Community school. My grandfather Paul Henderson and his cousins, Willard and Evelyn Clark are in the photo as well. But, I cannot identify the other 20+ children in the photo and would love to be able to do this.

Maud's father, Gideon Elbert Wiginton was the Post Master there for about 20 years. He passed in 1919 during the Spanish Influenza epidemic. His wife, Eron Belle Palmer, continued his duties as Post Master there for sometime after. I'm trying to find out exactly the years each of them served as post master.

Other families that were there were the Corders, Brittons, Lampkins, Glazes, Lucas, Lyons, Ammann, Allenson, Smiths, Braddock, Davenport, Garner, Henderson, Jacobs, Meltons, Putnams, Rainoscheks, Youngs, Millicans, Clarks and others.

If anyone has family still living who would have grown up in Hahn, I would love to contact them and perhaps share my photos for help with identifying the people in the photos.

Thanks,
Juliet

Find a board about a specific topic