William (Wilhalm) Buenger information

Replies: 2

William (Wilhalm) Buenger information

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 10:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Feb 2012 10:44AM GMT
Surnames: Buenger, Hartmann, Knigge Roehr Zieschang Noack Rosky Bencker
Hello!

My great grandfather was Wilhalm (William) Buenger (1854 - 1924) and his wife was Bertha Hartmann Buenger (1855 - 1946). They were residents of Williamson county from about 1895 until their deaths. Their children (Ida, Carl, Minnie and Annie) also lived in Williamson county, in and around the Noack and Beyersville communities all of their lives (through the 1960's and 1970's).

From Wilhalm's death certificate, his son, Carl Henry, indicated that Wilhalm's parents were Heinrich Buenger and Amalie Knigge Buenger of Brunswick, "Prussia" Germany. According to the 1920 US census records, he immigrated to the US in 1867. Outside of his marriage to Bertha and their children, I have been unable to determine any other information other than land transactions in Williamson county.

His death certificate indicates that he was buried in the Christ Church\Zieschang cemetery in Noack. Upon visiting this cemetery I could not find a marker, though one was broken beyond recognition.

For years, our family thought he was the son of Andreas (1824 - 1904) and Anna Rosky Buenger (1833 - 1899) of Industry in Austin county. In the 1870 US census, the family of Andreas Buenger is shown to have a 15 year old boy from Brunswick, Germany named Heinrich Buenger together with a 16 year old girl named Sophie Buenger from Oldenburg, together with their own children - all born in Texas.

The 1880, 1900 and later census records all show Wilhalm/William to have been born in Germany. Also, he became a naturalized citizen in 1906. Since Andreas came to Texas in 1848, he could not have been the father of Wilhalm. So much for family lore.

However, could the Heinrich listed in Andreas' household in 1870, been Wilhalm/William? Andreas and Anna had their own son named William. So could they have referred to Wilhalm by a middle name of Heinrich? Could Andreas have been Wilhalm's uncle?

This hypothesis seems reasonable, given that Wilhalm married Bertha Hartmann and the Hartmann farm adjoined the Buenger farm in Austin county. So young Heinrich/Wilhalm developed a relationship with young Bertha that led to marriage in 1879, when he was 25 and she was 24 years old.

Also, I found ship's passenger records for a Wilhelm and Sophie Bencker on the ship "Hansa" sailing from Bremen to New York in 1868, with last place of origin being Suelbeck, Germany, which is near their home towns. Given accents and umlauts, this misspelling is in line with the family name.

Any help concerning this puzzle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Tefteller
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
teftellers 21 Feb 2012 5:44PM GMT 
PaSain 3 Mar 2012 12:58AM GMT 
teftellers 6 Mar 2012 8:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic