Search for content in message boards

Early Germans

Replies: 15

Re: Early Germans

Lesley Lisso Koster (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2002 6:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wieland Lisso Goerlitz Grosskopf Moritz Kruger Hennig Thiele Nauert Nehring etc.
Carey, you did not list my father's family name, Lisso, in your group in Dessau Texas, although his great-grandfather Andreas (Andrew ) Lisso, born Steckby, Anhalt-Dessau, and his family were in that group, arriving in 1860 from Andreas' wife's hometown of Meinsdorf Anhalt-Dessau. The others were Friedricke Luedecke Lisso, born in Meinsdorf, and their son Heinrich (Henry) Lisso, born Wulfen, Anhalt-Koethen. I have found that some local genealogical societies and town hall workers in these places when contacted on the town's websites with a question as specific as possible,in German, if you can get help with that, and with the offer to make a donation to the local parish or other charitable fund, will do what they can to help. I can tell you from what I have learned so far is that a number of the families coming between about 1860-1872 to Dessau were from the parishes of the Kirchenkreis of the town of Zerbst. If you get to the website of the Ev. Lutheran Church in Sachsen-Anhalt and then the Kirchenkreis Zerbst they break the area down to the individual parishes and their village churches. Again it's in German, but you can print it out and get some help with words that are not obvious. I have more tips and people working on these families I could add if you wish to email me directly at jkkstrjr@aol.com. And if you have any specific possible towns other that the ones I have seen mentioned for these families please, please, let me know: Wielands in Coswig; Moritz and Grosskopf and Kruger in Meinsdorf and Rosslau; Goerlitz in Zieko and Dessau. I really hope to hear from you and from anyone else interested in tracing the early German settlers of Dessau, TX back to their German roots. How about some of you in Germany in Sachsen-Anhalt? We here in the US could supply great amounts of information about your Texas connections if you know that your family tree has a branch that started out in the Dessau community just outside Pflugerville not far from the Texas capital, Austin. We here are often stopped cold by the fact that few passenger arrival or census records of the mid-nineteenth century list the specific town of our ancestor's birth or last residence and in Germany many of the Bremen port emigration lists were destroyed. Hamburg departures are more complete but don't help much since most of the group coming in that 1850-1880 time period from central Germany left out of Bremen.
Many, many thanks to all who can help. Lesley Lisso Koster
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CWeber33 16 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
tubbyrose 4 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
cvhorn71 17 Jul 2001 3:14PM GMT 
CWeber33 17 Jul 2001 7:57PM GMT 
Verona Coxe 11 Oct 2001 3:42AM GMT 
CWeber33 11 Oct 2001 5:59PM GMT 
walraven101 19 Aug 2013 2:57AM GMT 
Jeanette Watson 27 Jan 2002 1:05AM GMT 
Lesley Lisso Koster 9 Feb 2002 1:36PM GMT 
jdunn50 19 Jan 2003 5:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions