Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Franklin "Frank" Herron (1848-1922)

Replies: 1

Benjamin Franklin "Frank" Herron (1848-1922)

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 1:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Aug 2011 10:30AM GMT
I am looking for any information on Benjamin Franklin "Frank" HERRON of Graham, Young County, Texas.
HERRON was born in 1848 in West Point, Lawrence County, TN, one of 6 children of Charles Joel HERRIN (1804-1889) and his 2nd wife Martha ABERNATHY (1818-1859).

Frank HERRON was a brother to my gr-gr-grandfather James Laban HERRIN (1838-1900) of West Point, TN.

HERRON served in Co K, 3rd TN INF, CSA with his brothers James Laban HERRIN and Charles F. HERRIN, and was wounded at the Battle of Raymond, Miss. In Aug. of 1865 HERRON was convicted of the Dec. 24, 1864 murder of pro-Union resident Clarke WHITE of Giles Co., TN, and was sentenced by a Union military tribunal to be hung, however he was granted a stay of execution by Pres. Andrew JOHNSON. Not knowing this, HERRON escaped from prison in Nashville and fled to Texas. before moving to Palo Pinto, and thence to Graham, in Young County. He eventually obtained a full pres. pardon from Theodore ROOSEVELT.

From 1874 to 1876 FRANK served in Capt. G. W. STEVENS' Co. B, Texas Frontier Forces (Texas Rangers).

Before settling in Graham, FRANK lived in Seguin, in Guadalupe County, then briefly in Palo Pinto. His first wife was a woman named Frances "Emma" McCLEAN (1850-1874/75), possibly from MS. HERRON married his second wife, Mary Lucinda DALTON (1856-1924) on 8 March, 1877, in Palo Pinto. She and FRANK had three daughters, Maude Lee HERRON HUGHES, (1877-1960) LINNIE Willerford HERRON DAVIS (1882-1959), and GEORGIA Blanche HERRON LEGRAND (1884-1905).

Are there any HERRON descendants still living in or near Graham? I'd love to meet long lost cousins. I’ve also heard about a HERRON family Bible. Does anyone know who has this? There was at one time a HERRIN/HERRON family Bible at West Point, TN, but it is apparently now lost.

I can document Frank HERRON in census records from West Point, TN to Graham, Texas, his marriages, and have copies of his CSA service records, his complete military trial transcripts, subsequent pardon, and TX Indian Wars pension app. file. I Also have photos of FRANK, his father CHARLES J., brothers CHARLES F. and JAMES L. and other family members. I will gladly swap records and photos with any other Herron researchers. If you're out there, let me hear from you!

Thanks.

Lee Freeman,

Florence, AL.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lfreeman_hist... 8 Aug 2011 7:47PM GMT 
tapwelch 30 Mar 2013 12:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions