Search for content in message boards

Smith & Couch Family Connection in Randolph Co. AL

Replies: 1

Smith & Couch Family Connection in Randolph Co. AL

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 10:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 May 2012 4:40PM GMT
Looking for John Smith who married Frances Couch-Williamson in AL, circa 1859 (most likely in Randolph Co). I am trying to confirm that he is one and the same as the John S. Smith who was born in 1834 Roane Co TN (Dogwood). Frances Couch Williamson was a widow with 6 children by her first husband William Williamson who died circa 1857, most likely in Randolph Co AL.

The 1860 Randolph Co AL census shows John and Frances Smith living with 4 Williamson children (incorrectly enumerated on the census as Williams), their 9 1/2 month old son, D.J. Smith (David Joshua?), and a 14 year old James M. Smith who is too old to be the son of John Smith. I think that David Joshua Smith was the only child born to John and Frances Couch Williamson Smith.

The 1860 AL census is the only census record showing John and Frances with their blended family. It appears that Frances died circa 1866, as John S. Smith is remarried to Martha Hansen Ham on the 1870 Cleburne Co AL census with a 10 year old David Joshua Smith and a 3 year old child. Martha was the widow of Hiram Ham of GA, and it appears she and John Smith married in GA.

David Joshua Smith married Rebecca Gay on June 6, 1877 in Cleburne AL. Since David J. Smith appears to be the half-sibling of my ggrandfather John Merrill Williamson, I am looking for descendants of David J. and Rebecca Gay Smith who may have knowledge of David's birth mother.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sanjohn48 10 Oct 2011 4:06PM GMT 
solosisterint... 13 Mar 2013 6:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions