Search for content in message boards

Mary & George W Jones + Jinsey Downing & Jess 1860

Replies: 2

Mary & George W Jones + Jinsey Downing & Jess 1860

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 9:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Downing Jones Meharg
[I posted this on the board for Robertson County but am also placing it here.]

Does anyone know what became of Mary Ann Jones and Jinsey Downing, shown together with Mary's family in the 1860 Census of Robertson County, Texas?

A Mary Ann Downing born c. 1813 married a George W Jones in Talladega County, Alabama in 1836. Mary had a sister named Jinsey Downing born c. 1815 (also spelled Jincey, Jincy, Jinsy, sometimes with a G, and sometimes read as Jinny or Jenny).

As you can imagine, tracing "George and Mary Jones" has been difficult.

The 1850 Census shows a Mary and George Jones in Rusk County, Texas with children Charlotte, Catherine, Charity Ann, Felix, Sarah, Milissa, and Daniel. The ages for this couple fit the known info for the Talladega, Alabama couple.

But the 1860 Census really led me the believe this was the right couple. The 1860 Census shows them in Robertson County, Texas, with children Charity, Felix, [looks like Dewy or Denny-- but where's Sarah?], Melissa, Daniel, and Dorinda PLUS Jinsy Downing and her probable son, Jess B Downing. [I am assuming that IF this is the right family, this child was illegitimate.]

The age of 44 (b 1816) and born in Alabama match up with the few known facts about Jinsey Downing. IF this is her, it is the first trace of her I've found outside family records. I had assumed until now that she had died as a child.

It seems George W Jones died in 1863 (but I cannot varify that), and his estate was settled in Robertson County on 15 Oct 1863, with his widow, Mary A Jones, signing the document.

After that date, both ladies disappear. A Charity Ann Jones married Peter Van Cleave in Robertson County. She died in Coryell County, Texas. A Jesse B Downing married Mary Jane Campbell in Coryell County, Texas in 1873, and I am wondering if this could be Jinsey's son and if the ladies might have moved on to Coryell County, too.

Lots of IFs. BTW, "my" Mary Downing and Jinsey Downing were the daughters of James Downing and Mary Meharg of South Carolina who went first to Tennessee and then Alabama. Mary Meharg died before 1820, but James Downing is listed on the 1820 Census for St Clair County, Alabama.

Any help in finding out what became of these two ladies and their families would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Anna
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
beket1 11 Feb 2013 4:34PM GMT 
PaSain 13 Feb 2013 3:07AM GMT 
beket1 13 Feb 2013 3:53AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions