Search for content in message boards

Susannah Walker, sister of Joseph Walker (b. 1813 Bradford UK, d. 1881 Iron, Cedar City)

Replies: 1

Re: Susannah Walker, sister of Joseph Walker (b. 1813 Bradford UK, d. 1881 Iron, Cedar City)

Posted: 31 May 2007 11:18AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Walker, Smith
I am a desendent of Joseph Walker and Betty Smith. I have a copy of a family history that says Joseph was born Mar. 19, 1812 in Yorkshire, England. (Parents Samuel and Sarah Walker) His wife. Betty, was born to Steven and Mary Smith, Oct. 8, 1812, in Yorkshire, England.

Joseph Walker was one of the first settlers of Iron County, (UT) in the group lead by George A. Smith in Jan. of 1851. He helped settled Parowan, and the following Nov. moved on to Coal Creek to help found Cedar City where the Iron works would be built.

He and his sons became identified with the Iron Industry, and he built and operated the first Grist Mill in Cedar City. He and his sons worked in the lumber and saw mill, and opened and operated 3 Coal Mines in Coal Creek Canyon.

I have much more information and would be happy to share it with you. Write and let me know what you already know and I will contact you later. He is a hero in my eyes, and I would like to tell you why.

Steve Harris
Salt Lake City, UT
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Denise Gibson 24 Jul 2006 6:30PM GMT 
stevengharris 31 May 2007 5:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions