Search for content in message boards

John Simmons b. 1867, lived Utah, died between 1893 & 1896 in Montana

Replies: 5

Re: John Simmons b. 1867, lived Utah, died between 1893 & 1896 in Montana

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 12:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Not knowing your source, I found the marriage record on the Western State Marriage Record Index, and the image:
John Simmons, residence: Ogden, Weber Co; Alice J, same residence; date 20 Oct 1890 in Ogden. Volume I, page 266.
Witnesses: C.A. Hambly and Miss Alice Tauchell
--The 1900 Census shows a Cyrus Hambly living in Ogden, born in Canada, immigrated 1879, he was a carpenter. The Utah Deaths showed him as Cyrus Allen Hambly, born about 1849, died 1906. His wife was born Elizabeth Bunyan in Canada (had her maiden name been Simmons... ). They married in Parry Sound District, Ontario, Canada. Was he a friend of John's? A boss, co-worker? Was Elizabeth a relative? Who knows. I always take a look at the witnesses. I've been lucky a few times to find a sibling, etc.
--I found no further information about Alice Tauchell/Tanchel/Tauchelt/etc. Was she a friend of Alice? Who knows.

I often find the age of the groom (and bride) wrong in the records. This seems to occur most when someone seems to disappear.

--This did not identify the age of John, so your "born in 1867" came from elsewhere ?

Your posting didn't have enough background to conduct much of a search, so, I looked for your other postings:
In the Lewis and Clark message board:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.mon...
it identifies background on Alice (it took a while for me to figure out what "Grpa's sister" meant, finally guessed it must be grandpa's...? Doing genealogy for hundreds of years and still find unknown). When you post, identify as much "facts" as you can, it helps volunteers to know exactly what you know and the source.

The available information isn't much about Alice and John, except married 1890 in Utah, daughter born in 1893, shown as widow in 1896 at remarriage in Montana.
--So, with all "Facts" open: Alice went from Ogden, UT, to Helena, MT, between 1890 and 1896. John is figured to be around between 1890 and 1892-1893. There is no proof John died, MANY "widows" found in the US Census or marriage records are found to have been divorced, abandoned or they left the marriage. The stigma of such, made many women lie about their status. So, it can't be assumed John died until proven. I've seen another poster say someone had died between census, until they are found alive and well elsewhere.
--It might be assumed that Alice went to Montana with John, but she may have gone with Leroy, a family member or by herself.

John James Simmons, born in Morgan, Morgan Co, UT in 1864. There are enough family trees on this person, but does not clear him. He married Bertha Sessions in Salt Lake in 1903; but no information from 1880 Census (living in Morgan City) to 1903 is found, died in Ogden 1962. Other family trees shows his birth in 1864, then married to Susan Tucker in Logan in 1885, in Wyoming in 1900 and 1910. This person blends into two with the two marriages and a number of family trees supporting both. The fact they blended gives rise to a "possible" other John. But, I found no proof of him. A LOT of family trees are wrong due to ONE person posting the wrong information and it spreds.

One other tree, yours, was found. Since you have one posted, that means you can look at the others. BUT, be very careful of undocumented sources. SO MANY family trees are wrong.

So, for this search. Start with the known. See if anyone can look up the City Directories (Polks or others, an annual publication) for Ogden 1892, forward and back to look for them. City Directories in that time period did not usually identify the name of a spouse. But, if the spouse was a widow, they sometimes appeared as "Alice, (widow of John)." Any other potential city information also, newspaper showing the marriage. Although newspaper articles on marriages were certainly not what they became later in time (1940's onward).

I checked the Montana, Pre-1900 Death Records, no findings.

The John Simmons in Morgan Co, most records indicate born 1864. I searched the Canadian Census of 1901 and find a John Simmons, age 37(1864)...but enough other data to disprove him (possibly). This one is in British Columbia, has a son in 1896. He is the only possible one in the 1901 census.

I checked other sources also, without success.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LimitlessEter... 29 Mar 2011 8:01PM GMT 
judyartley53 20 Nov 2011 12:27AM GMT 
judyartley53 20 Nov 2011 12:57AM GMT 
LimitlessEter... 20 Nov 2011 7:54PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 23 Nov 2011 7:30AM GMT 
LimitlessEter... 23 Nov 2011 9:55AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions