Search for content in message boards

Parents of Lovell Hurd, help?

Replies: 0

Parents of Lovell Hurd, help?

Posted: 2 Aug 2013 11:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for the parents of Lovell Hurd born abt. 1812 in Vermont, lived and died in Michigan.

Lovel/Lovell/Lovewell Hurd is listed consistently in the US Census as being born abt.1812 in Vermont; father born in Connecticut, and mother born in Vermont. He married Eliza Swift [daughter of Seth Swift and Annis Philleo] who is listed as being from New York, Dutchess county area.

I find Lovell Hurd in Atlas, Lapeer Co./Genesee Co. , Michigan in the US Census beginning in 1840 (age 28) through 1880. In the 1830 US Census I can find 40 Hurd households in Vermont but none with the name Lovell. He would have been only 18yo at that point and must not have been a head of household.

I do find a Lovil Hurd listed in the 1790 Census in Sandgate, Bennington, Vermont: 1 white male over 16, 1 white female over 16 and 3 white males under 16. I don’t know who this is/was and cannot find them later.

In 1810, 2-3 years before Lovell was born, there are 32 heads of house named Hurd listed in the US Census for Vermont but none are named Lovel/Lovell/Lovewell. Which probably rules out him being a Jr.

I have been unable to find any birth record for a Lovel/Lovell/Lovewell Hurd born 1812. Although I can find many Hurd families in Vermont that I have been unable to discover all the names of the children.

I found one reference to him coming from the Rutland Vermont area which could include Sandgate or even further south, it was very vague.

I did find reference to a Lovell Hurd being in Palmyra New York in 1928: “The Village of Palmyra was incorporated on March 29, 1827 and the first village election was held at the house of Lovell Hurd on February 4, 1828”, but nothing else.

I would appreciate any help. If anyone has a whisper of Lovell and his parents I’d love to know.

Thanks

Laura Keating

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions