Search for content in message boards

GASKILL family of Caledonia County, VT

Replies: 6

GASKILL family of Caledonia County, VT

Posted: 29 Jul 2004 1:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GASKILL
I am doing research on the Gaskill families that resided in Caledonia County, Vermont in the early 1800s. At present I know little of this family and don't even know if I am looking at the correct branch for my family tree, but it is the best I have to go on at the moment.

Samuel Gaskill Jr. was living in St. Johnsbury in 1830, and is currently my best suspect for being the father of my fourth-great-grandfather Lorenzo Gaskill, who as born in Vermont (this is supported by all of Lorenzo's census records) on 16 April 1813 and died 20 April 1883 in Depauville, Jefferson, New York. He also lived for a time in Mooers, Clinton, New York..

Lorenzo's death certificate does not, unfortunately, list either the town or county of his birth, nor his mother's first or last name. However, during the correct time frame I have only been able to find two Samuel Gaskills living in Vermont and both of them were living in St. Johnsbury in 1820 -- Samuel Gaskill Sr, listed as being over 45 years of age, and Samuel Gaskill Jr, listed as between 26 and 45 (helpful...) with three males in his household under the age of 10. There is also an Ebenezer Gaskill, listed as between 16 and 25, with one male under 10. Because the published census for 1820 in Caledonia was alphabetized (at least for St. Johnsbury) it's no help to determine where they were living in relation to one another.

Samuel Jr. is listed in the Sutton census in 1840, aged 50-60, which doesn't rule him out as being the same Samuel Jr. in the 1820 St. Johnsbury census. I have not yet found him in the 1830 census, though there is a Samuel aged 50-60 who is listed in the Waterford census that year (probably Samuel Sr).

There is a Samuel Gaskill who then appears in the 1850 Dalton, Coos, New Hampshire census, aged 61, born in "Richmond, Mi" (hug that census taker ... he put down both town and state! ... not sure whether he meant Michigan or Mississippi though), wife Huldah born in NH, and then three children, one born in Waterford, VT around 1832 and two born in Charlestown, VT, about 1834 and 1837 respectively. I was tipped off to the possible NH connection by a notice in the Dalton North Star paper, about a "Mrs Nigene Gaskill", wife of Samuel Gaskill, who died in Concord, NH at age 79. This was probably Samuel Sr.'s wife but it gave me an idea of where to look.

Anyway ... if anyone has done any research pertaining to the Gaskill family, particularly any with the names Samuel, Ebenezer, and Lorenzo, please let me know.

...Barb

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bcfrench 29 Jul 2004 7:06PM GMT 
JoHayward81 13 Nov 2004 2:41AM GMT 
gcfrizzell 19 Sep 2012 1:38PM GMT 
bcfrench 19 Sep 2012 5:21PM GMT 
gcfrizzell 20 Sep 2012 1:47PM GMT 
bcfrench 20 Sep 2012 1:57PM GMT 
Linda Gaskill Hilton 11 Nov 2005 3:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic