Search for content in message boards

Lawrence Families c. 1810-1890 Burlington, Chittenden County, VT. and Dodge County, WI.

Replies: 0

Lawrence Families c. 1810-1890 Burlington, Chittenden County, VT. and Dodge County, WI.

Posted: 28 Jan 2014 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jan 2014 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: Lawrence, English, Pollard, Englesby, Mahoney
Hi. I am trying to find out information about the following Lawrence family members:

Ira Lawrence b. abt 1774 d.31 Dec. 1826 interment made in Greenmount Cemetery, Burlington, Chittenden, VT.

Ira was apparently a farmer in the area who rose to some prominence, appointed a Justice for Chittenden, VT. Prior to becoming a justice, he apparently acting as the executor of many of the wills in the Burlington area during the early 1800s. He married a woman by the name of Mary.

Mary appears, at first, to have an unknown last name. Prior to learning who Mary's husband was, all I had was the name of one of her children, my ancestor, Daniel Lawrence.

Daniel Lawrence b. abt 1809 in Vermont d. 5 DEC 1869 in Burnett Corners, Dodge, Wisconsin. Daniel married Mercy Ann Pollard. 10 children are born to the couple while they live in the vicinity of Chittenden County, Vt.

By the 1850 United States Federal Census record, 7 children continue living with the couple and Daniel's mother, Mary has become a part of their household.

Mary b. abt 1771 d. 24 NOV 1850 interment made in Greenmount Cemetery, Burlington, Chittenden, VT.

At this point, I had nothing else to go with. Then last evening I was doing a search on some of the children of Daniel and Mercy. Low and behold, a "Reports of cases argued and determined in the Supreme Court of the state of Vermont." is among items I am searching in.

In it, a William R. Lawrence is bringing suit against an Leverett B. Englesby pertaining to the will probate of his mother, Mary Lawrence.

The suit mentions when Mary died. The goes on to mention the following names: The deceased, Mary Lawrence, of Burlington. Leverett B. Englesby, son of Ebenezer T. Englesby, both of Burlington. Charles Mahoney, Ira E. Lawrence & David Lawrence, three of the children, heirs, and next of kin of the deceased, Mary. Further mentions that at the time of her death, she had but 4 children. Next mentioning William R. Lawrence.

From this, I was able to ascertain that Charles Mahoney is some how related to Mary Lawrence and that my Daniel had the following brothers still living at the time of his mother's death:

1. Ira Englesby Lawrence b. abt 1806 in Burlington, VT. d. 15 Oct 1867 in South Burlington, VT.
2. William R. Lawrence b. abt 1808 in Burlington, VT. d. 22 Aug 1886 in Shelburne, Chittenden, Vermont
3. David Lawrence (yet to find birth info or census records in Chittenden for David)

I then did a search for birth records or other types of vital records, managing to find both, Ira and William's VT. vital records which mention their father's name as being Ira Lawrence. William's VT. vital records go one step further and mention his mother's name as being Mary English.

I've yet to find any birth records or VT vital records that mention Daniel or David, with the parental names of Ira Lawrence and Mary (Mary English??) I have found Daniel's name mentioned in some of the Burlington, VT town records.

Charles Mahoney ends up residing in his later years with Ira E. Lawrence and family appearing in the same household on the 1850 United States Federal Census.

Daniel and Mercy name their first male child, Charles Mahoney Lawrence, lending credence to their being a familial relationship between Charles Mahoney, Mary Lawrence, William R. Lawrence & Ira Englesby Lawrence.

The Englesby, father and son of Ebenezer and Leverett, may also be related the Lawrence family considering Ira and Mary Lawrence named one of their sons, Ira Englesby.

While the rest of the family remain primarily in the Chittenden County, VT area, by 1860 I find Daniel and 6 of his children, listed on the 1860 United States Federal Census, in Burnett Corners, Dodge County, WI. Sometime after the death of his mother, he, Mercy and his children moved to Burnett Corners. Mercy died in 1855.

I am hoping to hear from some who are relatives to the other Lawrence brothers so they can help me fill family group sheets and hopeful someone may have more information on the father and mother, such as where they were born, etc as well as maybe some type of lineage possibly listing the births of their children.

Thanks. :)

Find a board about a specific topic