Search for content in message boards

Julia Hulbert/Hurlbert in Swanton, Vt.

Replies: 3

Julia Hulbert/Hurlbert in Swanton, Vt.

Posted: 25 Aug 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: Hulbert, Hurlbert, Martin
I would appreciate it if someone with access to the vital records of Swanton, Franklin County, Vermont helped me out. The Swanton VRs haven't been published that I know of.

In the 1860 Census of Brandon, Vermont, appears the Hurlbert family with John as the head of household, age 40? His wife is Amelia, age 35, and there are three children, to wit, Amelia age 16, Mary 12, and Julia 10. The parents are listed as born in Canada, the children in Vermont.

Julia is my ancestor. She married Oliver Martin, probably 1866, probably in Brandon. Most records give her birth as French Canada. However, the above census and her Mt. Holly death record say she was born in Vermont; her death record says Swanton specifically, and names her parents as John and Amelia. The death record of one of her sons also says Julia was born in Swanton, Vt.

Her most likely birthdate is 22 June 1849. The year is sometimes given as 1845, and there isn't as much agreement between the sources as one might like. I think 1849 is pretty certainly the year that her family thought to be true, but . . .

If this Hulbert / Hurlbert family were in Swanton at the time of Julia's birth, one would expect them to be in the Swanton census in 1850 (almost exactly a year later) but I didn't find them there.

ANY help greatly appreciated.

Darrell A. Martin
formerly of Springfield, Vermont
currently in exile in Addison, Illinois
darrellm@sprynet.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
forbarad 25 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT 
RUTHGILMORE65 19 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
WandaAlter1 19 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
jackson64_1 10 Dec 2013 1:40AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions