Search for content in message boards

ALL Taylors in Franklin County

Replies: 30

Re: Clarence

Posted: 19 Jan 2003 1:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Wanda -
When I posted my reply yesterday, I had no idea I would receive a reply so quickly! I cannot tell you how greatful I am for all of the wonderful information you have supplied. My mother has been looking so hard to find Cordelia's parents, but without names, it is quite difficult.

My physical address is 431 Hickory Lane, Plainfield, IN 46168. Were are you located? My mother and I make annual visits to New Hampshire as family is there. If you are anywhere close, perhaps we can meet you. If you are not close, perhaps my mother and I can make a special trip.

My great-grandfather (my mother's father's father) is Marion Wesley Smith, born in 1865. He and Delia (which is her given name) married December 25, 1897 in Nashua, NH. Marion was a railroad employee at the time and Delia was a waitress in South Merrimack. Marion was born in Osceola, IN. That is why you can't find him! No one knows how or why Marion went to New Hampshire. Both of his parents were born in Indiana. As you may or may not know, Delia died March 30, 1902 in Goshen, NH of consumption. She is buried in Goshen Corner Cemetary with her father, Robert Nero Fulton, and her sister, Nora. Nora died 7/5/1913 in Newport, NH of stomach cancer.

Let's see - Marion and Delia had three children. There was Robert Marion Smith (my grandfather) born October 12, 1989 in Goshen (however, they were living in Nashua at the time), William Craig born March 25, 1901 in Goshen and Minnie Myrtle born December 6, 1899 in Nashua, NH. After Minnie was born, they moved to Goshen, NH and that is where Robert Fulton died. The story is that Marion died when my grandfather was 8 years old in a Chicago train wreck. However, my mother and I have not been able to determine that yet. The story had been that he, his wife, and a baby girl were all killed. However, we have been unable to locate a second marriage or a birth. We don't know whether Minnie was that girl or what happened to her. All I know is that William, in 1910, was living with Delia's sister, Maria, and her husband, Anson Norton. They were living in Lempster, Sullivan County, NH. My grandfather lived with Cordelia's mother for a while. He is listed in the 1910 Goshen, NH federal census. He lived on the Fulton family farm.

The farm had been transferred to Nora prior to Robert Fulton's death. As I stated earlier, Nora died in 1913. The farm was then sold. Mom and I have lost track of Cordelia after that. So we don't know when she died or where. My grandfather lived with Delia's sister, Charlotte, and her husband William Emmons for a while as well. My uncle has told me that great Uncle Bill was a wonderful man, but that great Aunt Charlotte was a mean witch. The Emmons stayed periodically with my mother's family.

Robert Marion married my grandmother, Louise Goddard in Malden, MA in 1920. They had eight children (all born in Massachusetts and NH), one died at 6 months from a hole in his heart. The oldest, Uncle Bob, lives in Alton Bay, NH. His three brothers have passed on. My Aunt Elva, the second oldest, lives in Georgia (married Henry Clay). My Aunt June, next to last child lives in California, and my mother, Doris Louise, lives with me.

My mother married Ralph Emerson Savage of Troy, OH and had two sons, Ralph Emerson and Robert Eugene. She divorced him and married my father, Vincent LeRoy Shellenbarger, and had my sister, Vicki Lynn, and me. I have one daughter, Zana Marie, and she has two children, Abigail Marie (12/30/97) and Tristan LeRoy (4/21/00). My brothers were adopted by my father. My oldest brother moved to Hudson, NH after serving in the Air Force in Korea in the middle 1960's. He passed away 6 1/2 years ago, leaving a wife and three children, all in their 20's now. So every fall, my mother and I drive to NH for a visit.

I cannot tell you what this means to me. I have always hoped that I would find a relative while researching my mother's family. There is so much to talk about and compare. You can continue to email through the message board or write to me at the above email or my personal email, cathitaylor@netscape.net.

Question: Have you done another deep research on the Fulton side? I know that Robert Nero Fulton's father's name was Solomon. But there is a Rober J. Fulton listed on the Fletcher, Vt. census of 1850 that I just know has to be related somehow. He is listed right above Robert & Cordelia Fulton.

Well, have to go. Let me here from you soon!

Cathi
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Wanda Alter 6 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
MSmith8487 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Wanda Alter 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
MSmith8487 20 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Wanda Alter 20 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Melody Smith 4 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Wanda Alter 5 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
ctaylor85 18 Jan 2003 5:24PM GMT 
WandaAlter1 19 Jan 2003 1:48AM GMT 
ctaylor85 19 Jan 2003 8:24PM GMT