Search for content in message boards

ALL Taylors in Franklin County

Replies: 30

Re: Clarence

Posted: 18 Jan 2003 6:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 May 2006 7:38PM GMT
Hello Cousin!

Is your grandfather the unnamed son I have born October 12, 1898 at Goshen to Marion & Adella (as I had her name)?

She is called Dell in the 1880 Fletcher, VT census, pg 102, h/h 107/109: Robert N. Fulton, 57, farmer; Cordelia Fulton, 46; Lincoln, 14, farm worker; Rachel, 11, Nora, 9, Dell, 3.

Delia was actually the 12th child. They had a stillborn son on September 03, 1868, possibly a twin to Rachel who was born that year (I don't have her birthdate).

Her mother, Cordelia Taylor was the youngest of 5 children. Their parents were Giles Taylor & Cynthia Leach. Giles S. Taylor was born July 01, 1789 at Hartford, CT to John Taylor & Mary ___. He died at Fletcher, VT on January 15, 1863 and is buried at Binghamville Cemetery.

Giles allegedly moved to Middlebury, VT "at an early age" with his father John (no mention is made of Mary other than in the birth record so I don't know if she died or went to VT.) John Taylor reportedly was killed by a falling tree while clearing land at Middlebury. This information was from Cordelia's older brother Giles G. Taylor and is vague. No death record has been found for John and he never appeared on any censuses in Middlebury, VT. [An adult Giles Taylor appears on the 1790 Middlebury, VT census and a Rachel Taylor is there in 1800 but have never been able to obtain any concrete info on those families which may tie to our John; our Giles' first daughter was named Rachel.]

Giles S Taylor moved at some point to Fairfax Vermont and married there to Cynthia Leach about 1810. They settled at Fletcher, VT where Giles was the towns first blacksmith.

Cynthia was born in 1792 New Fairfield, CT to Amos Leach & Helen "Nellie" Pepper. Cynthia's family were early settlers of New Fairfield, Connecticut and her grandparents, numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins resided there for many years.

In 1785, Cynthia's uncle, John Leach, Jr. moved to the newly settled Fairfield, Vermont. In 1788, her grandfather, John Leach, as well as many other families and family members moved to Fairfield. Cynthia's immediate family remained in New Fairfield until at least 1792 before following the family to Vermont.

Cynthia had five children of her own: Orange, Giles G., Rachel, Orange (my grt, grt , grt grdf) & Cordelia. Rachel and her husband Elias Chase died fairly young and Giles & Cynthia took in at leas the 3 youngest Chase children. One, Edmund, had hydrocephalas from which he must have suffered greatly and would have required constant care by Cynthia. He finally died in 1860 when he was 14. She continued to care for Asa & Cynthia Chase until her death on March 4, 1862 at Fletcher. She is also buried at Binghamville Cemetery. After her death the 2 grandchildren, then 13, & 12 became wards of a Fletcher family, both also met early deaths: Asa suicide by hanging at 22 & Cynthia at 24.

I have Cynthia's Leach lineage back to immigration. I have 2500 descendants of John & Mary Taylor but they have been my brick walls for 28 years. I strongly suspect that John is the John Taylor born (also ) to John & Mary Taylor at Glastonbury, Hartford Co., CT. That John had a brother Giles who may be the Giles who appears on the Middlebury VT census in 1790.

I have pictures of Giles & Cynthia and their graves. Please email me directly and send me your physical address and fill me in on Marion & Delia and their descendants.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Wanda Alter 6 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
MSmith8487 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Wanda Alter 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
MSmith8487 20 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Wanda Alter 20 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Melody Smith 4 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Wanda Alter 5 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
ctaylor85 18 Jan 2003 5:24PM GMT 
WandaAlter1 19 Jan 2003 1:48AM GMT 
ctaylor85 19 Jan 2003 8:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions