"The Noyes House was the first location to be settled in the village of Morrisville, in 1796, by John SAFFORD. After constructing the first dam across the Lamoille River to power Morristown's first sawmill and grist mill, the SAFFORDs, constructed the brick federal mansion that stands today. In 1870, the house was purchased by Carlos NOYES who was considered "the father of Lamoille County banking". Mr. NOYES spent much of his fortune converting the house into a Victorian estate in which to raise his family. The house was passed to Carlos, the only son of Arthur, who lived on the premises until 1948. In 1952 the Morristown Historical Society leased the grand house from the town of Morristown to house their growing collection of Morristown and Lamoille County artifacts. The Noyes House's 18 rooms and carriage barn contains surprising treasures around every corner which include industry, home life, leisure activities, etc. See the famous CHENEY Pitcher collection and Indian Joe's canoe. Today the Noyes House Museum consists of one of the finest collections of 19th century Vermont memorabilia as well as an extensive photo and archive collection available for public viewing.
Address is 1 Main Street, Morrisville, VT 05661, (802) 888-7617, open mid June until Labor Day, Wednesdays through Saturday. Guided tours available from 1:00 until 5:00 p.m. Admission by donation. Transcribed by Jan