Search for content in message boards

Niebaum, Alexander in Randolph 1875-1943

Replies: 5

Re: Niebaum, Alexander in Randolph 1875-1943

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 3:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks for responding. I am doing genealogy for my husband's mother's family and since Alexander played such a large part in the life of my husbands Grandmother's (Christine Bruce) life, I am including him in the family tree. From what I've found,researched and been told by Christine Bruce, Alexander was living in Burlington, VT at the age of 15 as a border while a student there. No one is sure why or how he came to Randolph, but, after Christine's husband Robert Bruce died in 1918 at the age of 22, Christine had to take in borders in order to support herself and her three children and Alexander was one of the borders. After some time, Alexander purchased a house for Christine Bruce and her three children in 1925 (he would have been 60 years old by then) and he lived with her until he passed away in 1943. Christine took care of him for several years after he became ill and bedridden. It was told by the three children that Christine and "Uncle Nick" as they called him had an ongoing romantic relationship. The 1930 Census shows Alexander as a border with Christine as head of household and then the 1940 Census shows Alexander as head of household with Christine and her children as boarders. He passed away in Randolph, VT in 1943 and is buried in Pleasant View Cemetary in Randolph, VT. We were just there in 2010 and visited his and my husband's mother's gravesites. I have an original picture of Alexander a/k/a "Uncle Nick" playing cards with two other gentlemen. I also have an original photograph of Capt. Gustave Niebaum that was taken out in California that Alexander must have brought with him as it was in Christine's possession at the time of her death. We remember Christine (my husband's grandmother) telling us that "Uncle Nick" stated that he was "asked to leave his father's house" and we assume that is why he went to New England. I was unable to find a birth certificate for Alexander and his death certificate shows he was born in Alaska but his parents are shown as "not known". In doing the math...it sounds like Alexander may have been illegitimate. Gustave would have been approximately 15 at the time of Alexander's birth...do you know if he was??...Alexander would have been 8 years old at the time of Gustave's and Suzanne's marriage. I am wondering if you could forward a copy of Gustave's will showing that Alexander was indeed Gustave's son. If so please email it to me at thetreehouse@tds.net as I will not be on ancestry.com very much longer. I find I can find much of the same information on familysearch.org at no cost. I am attaching a copy of Alexander's death record, the picture of Alexander playing cards(he is on the far right) and a copy of Capt. Gustave Niebaum's picture and the back of it as to where it was taken. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you I'd greatly appreciate if you would forward a copy of Gustave's Will for my records.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
v1staboy 17 Mar 2010 3:45AM GMT 
1_thetreehous... 12 Jun 2012 2:55AM GMT 
v1staboy 13 Jun 2012 3:29PM GMT 
1_thetreehous... 14 Jun 2012 9:38PM GMT 
1_thetreehous... 14 Jun 2012 10:06PM GMT 
Shamoca2009 12 Jun 2012 6:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions