POPE in Orange Co.

Replies: 11

Richardson and Downings

Ron Mosher (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2003 11:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Downing, Richardson, Muzzey, Bradford
Hello,

There are two distinct Richardson Families in Orange County as early as 1785. My Caleb Richardson is not found in many of the histories of Orange County, although clearly some of his descendants remained for some time after he left in the 1820's to live with or near children who settled East Aurora, Erie County, New York. But his records are clearly found in the township hall records. Caleb, a Revolutionary War Soldier, who did more marching to conflicts than actually fighting, was in his late 70's when his land was finally sold and he moved to western New York. His son in law, David Bradbury apparently was helping maintain the farm in those later years and sued his father in law for payment. I imagine this was more of a way of keeping the land in the family than to other's Caleb might have owed. Once the suit was filed, Caleb sold the land to David Bradbury for slightly more than he owed David Bradbury and the debt was settled. When David sued Caleb, half of the farm had already gone to one of Caleb's sons. Caleb Richardson's life is spelled out very nicely, year by year in his application for a Revolutionary War Pension, that was granted.

The other Richardson family is that of Benjamin, who would have been a 1st cousin of Caleb's. The Benjamin Richardson family is talked about in the Corinth Town History that was published about 20 years ago. These two families trace their roots back to Chester, Rockingham County, New Hampshire, and before that to Newbury and Newburyport, Essex County, Massachusetts. The line goes back 4 generations to the immigrant ancestor that came to Newberry about 1640's.

About 3 years ago I traveled to Vermont and looked in the township records. I still need to search two more township's records before I give up on finding my Downing ancestors roots. All census records give his birth as Vermont. But I have yet to find the anscetor for my Reuben Downing who married Charity Richardson. Another relative has located a letter, written by a great aunt who now suggest that Reuben was actually from French Canada. There were even suggestions that he could be part Indian. These are purely speculations.

A very odd note on the family of Reuben and Charity (Richardson) Downing, outside of the fact that three of the four girls married their first cousins, the children of Susan Richardson and Benjamin Muzzey. My 2nd great grandmother, the 3rd of the 4 girls has listed both Aurora, New York and Aurora, Illinois as her place of birth. At first I believed that East Aurora, Erie County, New York was her place of birth, finding the family in the 1850 Census there with all of the children's birth places listed as New York. However, the great-aunt who wrote about the Downing family history said that before 1840, the Downing family had moved to Aurora, Illinois. However, shortly after Mary Jane Richardson, my ancestor, was born, she was taken by the Indians, and later recovered. The family was so frightened that they moved back to be with family in East Aurora, New York until the four girls were older and the place a little more settled. Other family members said they were aware that all of her life, Mary Jane was extremely frightened by any word of Indians in the area.

Rueben and Charity only had the four girls. The oldest, Martha lost her 1st cousin husband in the Civil War before any children were born and she married a Edwin Delancy White and had children with him.

The one township in Orange County that had detailed records of Downings was Brookfield. I am sorry that I do not have any information on Rueben's parents or if he had any siblings. This is my Downing brick wall also. If I can help in any other way, please feel free to ask.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
iczang 26 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
barichar 14 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
iczang 14 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
barichar 18 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
iczang 18 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
rdmosher 24 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
M_Matice 26 Oct 2003 1:31AM GMT 
Ron Mosher 27 Oct 2003 6:20AM GMT 
melnic12 9 Oct 2005 6:41PM GMT 
Mary Matice 10 Oct 2005 1:24AM GMT 
per page