Search for content in message boards

Moody Cheney

Replies: 8

Re: Moody Cheney grave location

Posted: 6 Nov 2013 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cheney, Whitney
My records show Moody and Alice Cheney are buried in "Brownington Center Cemetary" in Section 2, Row 2 from the center roadway and working north. Because I am working from notes by a researcher, I can't tell whether some names are combined on one stone, but Alice and Moody are about the 12th and 13th names on the transcript. Their headstones should be in that vicinity.
Alice's Grave reads: Alice S. wife of Moody Cheney D. Mar. 6, 1872 Age 81 years
There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God
Moody's Grave reads: Moody Cheney D. Jan. 14, 1882 Age 88 yrs. 7 Mons. 20 days
Resting

There was a Moody Cheney in Byfield, MA area during a similar time period, but I feel sure this is an entirely different person.

While I am certain Pope and his assistants did their best, they documented only the information they could gain through correspondence. Much of that information was correct, but some has been proven wrong, and by Pope's own admission many connections were missed. Those of us who have narratives, photos and documents passed down from ancestors can add to Pope's body of work as time passes.

Royal Cheney is indeed a son of Moody and Alice. I am Royal's G.G.Daughter. (Our line is fairly long-lived. From Moody's birth in 1793, we have Royal, Arthur, and my mother who is still living. Because the generations are so few, and most oral history came from Moody's grandson Arthur direct to me, I've always been fairly confident about the accuracy)

Royal is listed twice on page 557 of Pope's Cheney Genealogy. Both listings are the same man. He was married four times, and moved a fair amount. I have copies of his Civil War records, and photos of many of his wives and children, and some of his work history. I am happy to share what I have with any of Royal's descendants.

I can also verify Charles Cheney as Moody and Alice's son. Charles eventually moved to Oregon where he lived to a ripe old age. We have a great photo of him on his 100th birthday, embarking on a airplane (bi-plane I think) ride.

My Grandfather, Arthur Cheney, also remembered an Uncle William and Uncle John - both of whom were supposed to have been Moody's sons who stayed behind in Vermont.

I include 5 more unnamed children of Alice and Moody in my tree based on Great Uncle Charlie's first person narrative. I infer that most of these children died before reaching adulthood.

John Cheney's death certificate shows his place of birth as Albany, VT. While it is a long ways from Brownington in the early 1800's, it appears possible that Moody and Alice did make a move from one place to the other, or the town boundaries changed over the years. It is clearly possible that the M. Cheney in the town meeting record could be a different person, (although because the meeting in question ocurred in 1817 I believe Myra, Myron, Norman and Morelle are excluded as they were born or married into the family decades later.) I have erred on the side of inclusion where it seemed the information could be relevant. The advantage of including the documentation you have is not necessarily about "proof", but about centralizing info and allowing everyone (often some with different/better information) to review documentation and -hopefully- add their thoughts and comments directly in the Comment field for the attached Media for all to review and benefit from.

When I first joined Ancestry I found 3 trees showing Enoch as Moody's father. I can't account for those connections. I based my connection on two unrelated correspondences I had with different branches of Enoch's descendants confirming their understanding that (1) Moody was Hannah Cheney's brother, and (2) Enoch's son David Cheney was Moody's brother. This second connection was made by someone who thought they could access older, handwritten family records to further substantiate the connection. I will add that as Media on Moody Cheney if I receive it.

In the 1980s we paid a professional researcher to look for Moody's ancestors. He also suggested the connection to Enoch's line, but was unable at that time to find final proof. These two family histories, combined with the thoughts of the professional researcher, decades spent eliminating other possible family lines, the "coincidence" of documented relatives in Bradford, NH, my own family's memories of how the Cheneys arrived in VT and of reunions with relatives in locations that correlate to Enoch's family convinced me of the connection.

I'm assuming some others in this thread have a personal interest in Moody and Alice's background (are some of you John or William's descendants perhaps?) I am now too far away to pursue research in anything but written form with Churches, town halls, and archivists. In the interests of final accuracy - It seems likely that any christening or marriage record for Moody and Alice would include some information about their parents. If there are any interested descendants in the vicinity, a review of old church records in Orleans County might be informative (and greatly appreciated!) There appear to be only one or two possible churches in the region during that era, the question would be where/whether their records are now archived.

Moody might have been born in the Orleans County vicinity. The census lists his place of birth as NH most of the time, but the boundaries for this area were in flux during these early years, so it is hard to be sure what the census record signifies. My family thought he was born in "Barton's Landing."

Also, we show that Alice S. Whitney's parents, Joseph and Sarah, lived in Barre (VT or MA?), looking for Moody and Alice's marriage in those locations might be fruitful.

I sincerely apologize for any confusion arising from review of documentation in my tree. I welcome comments, but perhaps with this many interested individuals we can work together to resolve all these questions to everyone's satisfaction.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ear14 15 Jan 2008 2:34PM GMT 
m_lupico 30 Jan 2008 2:33PM GMT 
checheney63 5 Mar 2013 10:09PM GMT 
ch3n3y3 7 Jun 2013 7:45PM GMT 
checheney63 3 Sep 2013 2:19AM GMT 
shutrbuglin 4 Sep 2013 11:59PM GMT 
checheney63 6 Sep 2013 3:22AM GMT 
lala mama 22 Oct 2013 4:14AM GMT 
ch3n3y3 6 Nov 2013 9:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic