Search for content in message boards

Loveday,Ford,Donahue,McCarthy,Connor-Vermont

Replies: 3

Re: Loveday,Ford,Donahue,McCarthy,Connor-Vermont

Posted: 12 Mar 2010 12:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FORD/KIELY
Hello Dorothy,
Just by chance I came across your query (2005) on Ancestry Co.UK and thought that the following could be of interest to you regarding the surnames Ford and Kiely.
My Great Grandfather John Ford was found on the 1861 census living at 115, Parliament Street, Stroud, Gloucestershire, England.
The census showed John, a Tailor by trade, as being born in Kinsale, Co. Cork, Ireland, along with him was his wife, Mary, (maiden name unknown) a Seamstress, who was born in Queenstown Co. Cork, Ireland, and their daughter, Mary Ann, aged 4, born 1857 at Newport, Monmouth, Monmouthshire, Wales.
Living in the house next door at 116, Parliament Street, was a John Kieley, aged 30, b. Kinsale, Co. Cork. Tailor by trade. Wife, Catherine, aged 28, b. Kinsale, Co. Cork. Dressmaker, and their son, Thomas, aged 2, b. Stroud, Gloucestershire, England.
Sadly, Mary, John Ford's wife, died in late 1861, and John remarried in 1862. and the marriage certificate showed that the father of John was called Daniel Ford, who was deceased, his occupation was down as Farmer. It is not known where he was born, but a family story has it that either Daniel, or his son John, was born in the same village in Ireland as the father of Henry Ford, how true this is I have no idea!
John's second wife took on Mary Ann and brought her up with the children which were to follow. John Ford died suddenly in 1871 at Trowbridge, Wiltshire, England, just before the 1871 census, and 5 months before the birth of his son, Percival John Daniel Ford, who became my Grandfather. John's second wife returned to Stroud with her children but I do not know what became of Mary Anne.
I was unable to find the Kiely family on the 1871 census. There is a possibility that Catherine Kiely could have been the sister of John Ford.
I hope this will be of some use to you, if you need photos of the children of John Ford or a copy of the census relating to the Kiely family I can send them to you.
Regards,
Jane Joy
Fife,
Scotland.
PS. I have also sent this to your email address given with your query. Mine is below.

baldinnie@btinternet.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Irelands52 15 Sep 2005 4:27PM GMT 
peter patten 16 Sep 2005 1:32AM GMT 
baldinnie1 12 Mar 2010 7:32PM GMT 
kathyLott1000 12 Mar 2013 10:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic