Search for content in message boards

Horace Plumley, 1869

Replies: 3

Horace Plumley, 1869

Posted: 2 Jan 2011 11:00AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 16 Jul 2013 6:25AM GMT
In going through old notes and xeroxes, I found a few sentences about Horace Plumley's incarceration in Windsor. [I believe he was originally sentenced to death which may account for what reads like harsh treatment. I believe his death sentence was later commuted to life in prison.] I no longer have access to the newspaper, but there was probably more about Horace as well as Ziba and Frederick Plumley, all convicted in the death of John Gilman in Shrewsbury, so I thought I would post a "heads up" in case anyone interested in the family wanted to look it up sometime.

Rutland Herald
Aug 10, 1869
Piper, Neary, Butterfly, and the Plumleys

We find in the Fairhaven Journal, a letter from Windsor, dated July 20th, evidently from the pen of one of our county officials...

[The official wrote in his letter about touring the prison and meeting various prisoners. The bottom of my xerox includes the following lines:]

After making the round of the workshops we returned to the main hall, and in a few moments Horace Plumley was taken out of his cell and brought to us. He has been in solitary confinement ever since he was brought here, being let out of his cell, as he informed me, only once a week to be shaved. He approached us with a feeble step, and one would hardly recognize, in the pale, thin-faced....

[End of xerox]
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cathabes1 2 Jan 2011 6:00PM GMT 
JNichols7769 8 Jan 2011 10:18PM GMT 
resjr95 10 Jan 2011 10:26PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 16 Jul 2013 11:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions