Search for content in message boards

The Downey Family of Middletown and the Shepards of Tinmouth

Replies: 3

The Downey Family of Middletown and the Shepards of Tinmouth

Posted: 7 Apr 2014 8:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
I am looking for help identifying my Downey Family in Vermont. My 4th Great Grandfather was William Downey III, born in 1822 in Vermont, who married Harriet Griffin.
Harriet was possibly the daughter of Thomas M. Griffin/Giffin/Giffen/Griffen (born around 1800 in NY) and Electa Farnsworth, daughter of Moses Franklin Farnsworth and his wife, Eunice Mattoon.
William Downey III's parents were William Downey Jr. (born around 1790 in Vermont and died in the 1870s in Berkshire, Franklin, Vermont) and Martha Shepperd, this according to the baptismal/marriage record of William's sister, Mary Jane Downey who married John Maloney.
William Jr. and Martha had four children: Levi of Bristol, Addison, VT, Mary Jane wife of John Maloney of Constable, Franklin, NY, Lois, wife of Cyrus Barnes of Chateauguay, Franklin, NY and William III of Hopkinton, St. Lawrence, NY.
William II also had two other wives, Mary Welsh, by whom he had Marshall H. of St. Albans, Eleanor who married Amos Corey, Charles of Waterbury, Washington, VT, Martin of Blanford, Hampden, MA; and William II's third wife was Elvira Wallace by whom he had Lucy who married Lewis Fanfaw, Lyman Hazen and a Blodgett.
Considering that my 4th Great Grandfather William Downey is always referred to as "William Downey III" and William Downey II was born in 1790 in Vermont, I believe William Downey I to be that William Downey of Middletown, Rutland, Vermont, as his is the only Downey Household in Vermont in 1790.
Family Stories say that he was one of three brothers from Ireland, originally MacDowneys from the County Down, a staunch Protestant family, this coming from the previously mentioned Marshall H. Downey, through his nephew, Edward C. Downey. The other two brothers were supposedly George Downie who died in the battle of Plattsburgh (I am having no luck connecting my family to him, but Marshall says that his father, William II, talked of attending the funeral in Burlington with his father, William I). and the other brother was some Colonel.
I am interested in finding out about the Downeys and, most especially, finding out the ancestry of Martha Shepperd, married before 1816 and died before 1843, likely in Berkshire, Vermont. I believe she may be the daughter of Elisha Shepard, of Berkshire, Levi Shepard of Essex, VT, Jonathan Shepard III of Chateauguay, NY or possibly another member of the family of Jonathan Shepard Jr. and Hannah Benjamin (Elisha, Levi and Jonathan III are all their sons and the families seem to move together) and that she was possibly born in Tinmouth, Vermont.
Any help on any of these families would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mike Draper
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mdrapes18 8 Apr 2014 2:55AM GMT 
jahrn 7 May 2014 3:45AM GMT 
mdrapes18 7 May 2014 3:46PM GMT 
jahrn 8 May 2014 1:11AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions