Search for content in message boards

Bullock/Orr Marriage

Replies: 8

Re: WHITNEY/BULLOCK

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 6:24PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Orr, Bullock, Whitney
Ohio, Cuyahoga County Probate Files, 1813-1917, Docket A, Case 192, (Case no. 188-200 1827, Image 249/493 familysearch.org) --

FamilySearch has scans of the original last will and testament of Miriam Orr. Here is a transcription. You can always use the first line of this note to browse and see the original. Very interesting. The original will was filed in Brattleborough, Vermont, but it was also probated in the Cuyahoga County, Ohio, court. That's what I'm typing from.

In the name of God, Amen. I Miriam Orr wife of Capt. isaac Orr of Halifax in the County of Windham and State of Vermont being sick and weak in body but of sound mind memory and understanding (praised be God for it) and considering the certainty of death, and the uncertainty of the time thereof and to the end that I may be the better prepared to leave the world whenever it shall please God to call me hence, do therefore make and declare this my will and testament in manner following, that is to say.
First, I give and devise to my Grand Children jesse Harris, William harris, Henry Harris, Ariel Harris, Eliza Harris, Lydia Harris (six children of my late daughter, Susannah Harris, deceased -- wife of Calvin Harris) the sum of twenty dollars each to be paid to them in the month of January in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred and twenty six.
Second, I give and devise to my daughter Eliza Brown (wife of Amos Brown) my high case of drawers, one small table, one light stand, one third part of my beds and bedding (except the bedsteads), my black silk gown, black silk cloak and black bonnet with one third part of my wearing apparel.
Third, I give and devise to my daughter, Lovina Whitney (wife of John Whitney) one third part of my wearing apparel and one third part of my beds and bedding (except the bedsteads).
Fourth, I give and devise to my daughter, Sarah Greenleaf (wife of James Greenleaf) one third part of my wearing apparel, one third part of my beds and bedding (except the bedsteads), one half of my knives and forks, one half of my pewter and tin ware (the other half of it to Eliza Brown) and my side saddle to Sarah Greenleaf.
Fifth, I give and devise to my Granddaughter, Miriam Goodenough (wife of Emerson Goodenough) my brass kettle, my changeable silk gown, my gold beads and one half of my Crockery and Glassware and one half of my silver spoons and all my linen.
Sixth, I give and devise to my Granddaughter Susannah harris my field bedstead and curtains, my chamber gown, my blue and white coverlet, one pair of sheets, one pair of pillowcases, one great wheel, one little wheel, one porridge pot, six dining chairs, one looking glass, one tea kettle, one iron bajon, one bake kettle, two dish kettles, one pair of small andirons, one half of my Crockery and Glassware and one half of my silver spoons.
Seventh, I give and devise to Emerson Goodenough of Brattleboro, the sum of one hundred dollars, to be paid in the month of January next.
I give and devise to my son, Samuel Bullock, my one horse waggon.
And my will is that my executor, after the payment of my just debts and necessary expences, and procuring and setting up a decent pair of Grave Stones to my memory, and procuring a pair of Grave Stones for my late daughter, Miriam Bullock -- and paying the foregoing legacies and provisions of this will and the necessary expences of settling my Estate, shall equally divide the residue and remainder of my Estate between my children William Bullock, Samuel Bullock, Jesse Bullock, Sarah Greenleaf, Lovina Whitney, and Eliza Brown or their heirs.
And, last, I do hereby constitute and appoint the beforenamed Emerson Goodenough of Brattleboro in said County of Windham, sole executor of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all former wills by me made. In witness where I have hereunto set my hand and seal this fifteenth day of january in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty five.
Witnessed by:
Simpson Goodenough
Parmelia Goodenough
Rufus Clark
(The will was filed in the Brattleborough Probate Office on April 6, 1825, at a cost of $5.27.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gin1947 20 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT 
mamaacton 11 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
gin1947 12 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Don Worth 18 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
gin1947 19 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
sarahbanana94 29 Feb 2012 12:58AM GMT 
firimar 15 Dec 2013 1:24AM GMT 
firimar 15 Dec 2013 1:20AM GMT 
firimar 15 Dec 2013 1:23AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic