Search for content in message boards

The Missing Hendees of Winchester

Replies: 0

The Missing Hendees of Winchester

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 12:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hendee Prentis Hitchcock Goodell
I know some of you were researching ACHSAH HENDEE/HITCHCOCK at one point but I have never seen evidence of anyone finding her parents.

Based mostly on her connection to Westminster, Vermont, I am thinking she may be the daughter of Caleb Hendee (b. abt 1756) and Judith Goodell (b.1861). Achsah was married and died in Westminster and both of Judith Goodell's parents, Jabez Goodell (b. abt 1720) and Abigail Lyons (b. 1725) died there. Also, Achsah's children (with Amos Hitchcock) were born there.

Achsah may have had a brother, Caleb Hendee (b. abt 1790? m. Ruth Prentis 1817) based on the rational below.

Both Achsah Hendee and Caleb Hendee were married to their respective spouses in Westminster, Vermont by Minister Timothy Field. Neither Achsah nor Caleb have found a place in my Hendee document but it would seem their marriages nine years apart in the same place by the same person would indicate a close relationship – possibly brother and sister. Their parents are a problem since nowhere are their parents explicitly identified. The one clue which may bear fruit is that Westminster, Vermont was the place of death for both parents of Judith (Goodell) Hendee. Judith was the wife of Caleb Hendee (b. 24 Aug 1756 or 24 Sep 1755 Ashford, Windham County, Connecticut}. My document shows only one child born to Caleb and Judith: Abel Cornelius Hendee b. 1789. This birth date fits exactly with those of Achsah b. 1786 and Caleb’s marriage in 1817. Not iron-clad but better than anything else found so far. If this proves to be true, Horatio S. Hendee (b. 1826) and all his descendants would also find a home in my document as descendants of this Caleb and wife, Ruth (Prentis) Hendee.

Please let me know if you can confirm or disprove any of the above.

Dave Petrie
Arden Hills, MN

Find a board about a specific topic