Search for content in message boards

Patterson/Simmons - Woodstock VT, NY, IL, WI

Replies: 1

Patterson/Simmons - Woodstock VT, NY, IL, WI

Posted: 15 Nov 2006 2:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Patterson, Simmons, Burdick
I would like to know the parents of Erastus Patterson and Zeruah Simmons. I would also like to know for sure when and where they were born. Additionally, any information about this family would be appreciated.

Erastus Patterson and Zeruah Simmons were possibly born in Vermont. Zeruah was born in 1795. Erastus died in 1837 in Winnetka, IL. Zeruah died 15 Mar 1874 in either Winnetka, IL or WI. She's buried in Forest Home Cemetery in Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI.

By 1810, Erastus and Zeruah were in New York, possibly Potsdam in St. Lawrence County. They had at least six children and possibly more:

1. Daniel Wright, b. abt 1810 in NY. He d. in WI. He m. Susan.
2. Olive Simmons, b. 1 Dec 1817 in Potsdam, St. Lawrence, NY. She d. 7 Mar 1911 in Lake, Milwaukee, WI. She's bur. in Forest Home Cem. in Milwaukee, WI. She m. Morgan Lewis Burdick in 14 Sep 1837.
3. Moses, b. abt 1820 in NY. It's possible he d. in 1850. He m. Amanda.
4. Azel, b. abt 1822 possibly in NY. It's possible he died in 1850 on a ship in Panama. He was married but I don't know the spouse's name.
5. Joseph, b. abt 1824 possibly in NY.
6. Lucia, b. abt 1825 possibly in NY. She died in 1837 in Winnetka, IL.

In 1836, Erastus, Zeruah, and five of their children traveled by ox-drawn covered wagon (I believe they left NY but information I received from the Winnetka Historical Society says they left VT). They were travelling with six other families. In August 1836, they stopped for the night in what would become Winnetka, IL, and the family liked the area so much, they decided to stay. The other families kept going.

Erastus Patterson was a squatter and built a log cabin on the spot where they had camped. From the start, it was opened as a "wayside inn". Not long after, the Pattersons built a larger log house, which became known as the Patterson Tavern.

In 1837, Erastus Patterson died and was buried on the hill where the Episcopal Church now stands. Their daughter, Lucia, also died in 1837 and was buried near her father.

Zeruah (or Zernah as she was also known) continued to run the inn with her three sons for several years. In 1843, Zeruah applied for a government patent to the land. She paid $192.70 for the property.

In 1850, Moses and Azel went to California searching for gold. In September 1850, Azel was heading home on ship by way of Panama. He may have died of consuption on his way home. He was married but his wife's name is unknown and so are his children, if he had any.

Don't know what ever happened to Moses. He was married to an Amanda. Both of them were on the 1850 census with his sister, Olive and her husband Morgan Burdick.

I have no information about Joseph.

I believe I've located Erastus Patterson on the 1820 and 1830 censuses in Potsdam, St. Lawrence, NY. I did not find an Erastus Patterson in the 1830 census for VT.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
maradeth 15 Nov 2006 9:03PM GMT 
GaryRRebholz 29 Apr 2013 1:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic