Search for content in message boards

Children of Elisha Marsh 1772

Replies: 31

Re: MARSH, Elisha

Randy Gallistel (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2003 6:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MARSH, RANSOM, STEVENS, VAUGHAN, TERRY, PERRY, STRONG, DEWEY, UDALL, DUNHAM, BURTCH, HARWOOD, PEARCE, DOWNER
I am interested in learning as much as I can about Elisha Marsh. I have learned a good bit since I posted my query. Among other things, I now have a picture of his tombstone, which is in the cemetery in Queechee. Here are the notes in my database:

Holbrook’s Vermont 1771 Census lists an Elisha Marsh in Hartford, which means he was a very early settler, because there were only 31 heads of household there at time of 1771 census (Holbrook’s Table 9). The census lists a lot of Marsh’s--30 of them! Of these 30, the following were in Hartford: Abel, Eliphalet, Elisha & John. Thus, Marshs accounted for 4 out of 31 heads of household in Hartford. The 1790 Federal Census for Hartford VT lists an Elisha Marsh as head of a household containing (in addition to himself) 2 FWM >16, 1 FWM < 16 & 2 FWF. It seems likely that this was Polly’s parents household. It also lists Abel Marsh, Abraham Marsh, Elphalet Marsh, John Marsh, three Joseph Marsh’s, and a Milo Marsh as heads of households. These can generally be sorted out and their familial relations determined by reference to Tucker’s genealogy of the Marsh family (see later note). In 1771, the population of the towns in Cumberland County (then a county of New York) was 190. In the 1791 census, it was 988.

The 1800 Census for Hartford VT lists Elisha Marsh as head of household w. an age of >45. Household also contains1 FWM <10 and 1 FWM 26-45; 1 FWF >45 & 1 FWF10-16. An Elisha Marsh Jr age 26-45 also appears as a head of household. [This would be Polly’s brother.] So does Abel, Abraham, Daniel*, Eliphalet, Joel, Joseph, Joseph Jr, Millo [sic], and Roger*. Asterisks mark those who did not appear in the 1790 census (Daniel & Roger). It seems likely that Joel and Joseph Jr are two of the “Joseph’s” listed in 1790.
A Colonel Joseph Marsh had charge of the Cumberland County Regiment during Revolutionary War. He came from Hartland, VT (very near Woodstock). {I am nearly certain that this was the Joseph Marsh who eventually became the first Lt. Governor of Vermont. He was the very successful older brother of Elisha.
A James Marsh born in Hartford in 1794 went to Dartmouth and became president of the University of Vermont in 1826. He was a noted transcendentalist philosopher and oversaw a rapid expansion in the enrollment at the University. His descendants donated a bunch of his papers to the University in 1990.

....”from the book History of Hartford, VT, page 338 - The first grist-mill was built in Quechee by Elisha Marsh. He sold the mill in 1812 to Matthew Ransom, a carpenter and joiner who had longlived by the burying ground.” (excerpted from an email to me from Roberta Andersen (randersen7@juno.com) 4/23/2000. I have subsequently found this passage in my copy of Tucker.

In a letter from Roland E. Stevens, in the Law Office of Pingree & Pingree, Hartford, VT Feb. 24, 1899, writing to Abbie Vaughan, of N. Woodstock, VT, he writes, “ I have searched the records and find very little that will be of much service to you. Doubtless you have read Tucker’s History of Hartford. From that book I find that Daniel Ransom was probably the son-in-law of Elisha Marsh, who settled in Quechee in 1772 [No, earlier, he’s listed in the 1771 census--see note above] and built a grist mill there. Elisha Marsh married Mary Terry and by her four children; two boys, Elisha & Isaac; and two girls Polly & Christiana. One of the daughters married Ransom, the other a Perry.....I found Daniel & Matthew, and Richard Ransom’s name several times in the early reports of the Selectmen & overseer of the poor, and in deeds....The earliest date at which they are mentioned is 1799. {Wrong, Matthew is mentioned in a the deed from Joseph Marsh granting him land to the east of the bridge into Queechee (& of Joseph’s grist mill), which is dated 28 Oct 1781. The 1799 deed is perhaps the one in which Daniel sells land to Frances Savage. It is dated 23 Jan 1798. I have a xerox of it. There is also a deed from Elisha Marsh to Matthew Ransom for another four acres in the same general vicinity dated 14 Nov 1782. I have a xerox, but it is hard to read. The record of the deed is on pp 85-86 of Volume B of the Hartford Land Records.}

Tucker, p. 448 writes: “Among the first permanent settlers of Harford were several members of the Marsh family, who, with one exception, located in Quechee. Among those who located in that part of the town were the four brothers, (Governor) Joseph, (Captain) Abel, Eliphalet, and Elisha, and John and Jonathan [these latst two were cousins of the brothers]. Col. Joel settled in West Hartford. Jonathan came into the town with the Strong’s and Noah Dewey, in the summer of 1764. John came in 1767. His name first appears in the records March 8, 1768. Abel and Joel are first mentioned in the records Nov. 22, 1773. Joseph and Elisha are first mentioned April 18. 1774--the first named being designated as Capt. Joseph Marsh.” {Wrong, mention of both goes back into the 1760’s; they appear repeatedly! For example, Elisha Marsh was among those voted first pick in ye second hundred Division at a meeting of the poprietors 8 March, 1768 at the house of Benjamon Wright.}

I have a xerox of a deed from Joseph Marsh to Elisha Marsh for about 10 acres of land “lying a little north of the grist mill & is the lot we bought of Capt Udall. The boundary extended to “the burying yard”. The deed is dated 10 Oct 1782. It was recorded 7 Sep 1784. I think it is in Vol. B of the Land Records, but I forgot to note volume & page #.

I have a xerox of a deed from Lionel Udall to Joseph & Elisha Marsh, which for a consideration of two thousand pounds (£2000){!!!} grants them “certain half right of Land drawn to the original right of Thomas Tracy also the sawmill gristmill and fulling mill with all priviledges Tools utensils stream and Irons Papers Shops Tenter bar &c also one eight acre meadow Lot on the Southwest side of the mill pond known by the name of Pinneos point and also one more meadow lot on the north side of sd. mill pond continaing eight acres and also one certain fifty five acre Lot on the north side of the road between sd. Joseph Marshes Land and William Dunhams land as it is surveyed except the fifty acre lot and eight acre Lot belongint to the above sd. half right all lying and being in Hartford.” Dated “this 24th day of September in the third year of American Independence. Recorded 19 Sep 1781. Unfortunately, I forgot to note the volume and page number. It is from a volume that was obviously copied over (by hand) by someone many years later.

In a meeting of the proprietors on Monday, August 12, 1765 at the house of Mr Elijah Strong “to see whether they will agree to Survey the whole of the medow land in sd town also to chose a Comittee to do sd bisness and also to lay out to those that have made their pitches in sd. medow their Equal proportions of sd. lands and also to see what encouragement they will give towards building a sawmill in sd town and also to see what they will do on account of applying to his Excelency [missing] of New York in order to [missing] sd township and [missing] the governor [missing] to obtain a grant of [missing] also to see if they will [missing] to Lay another Division of Hundred Acre lots and Do any other bisness proper to be done on sd Day .”

At a meeting of the proprietors on 31 Aug. 1767, mention is made of “the Sawmill of Abel Marsh and Comp” This suggests that the Marsh brothers were all in the mill venture together, perhaps also with Lionel Udall, from whom Joseph & Elisha later bought the mills. At another meeting, whose date is recorded as 19 Sept. 1761 (a copying error?), the proprietors voted “thata we will lay out a highway from or near the East end of the highway that Leads from the Connecticut river toward Pomfret up sd. river to or near White River then up sd which river so far as shall be thought best thence to Hear. [?] the nearest and best way across the town over to or near the Sawmill of Abel Marsh and Comp as shall be thought best.”

“As early as 1765 provisions were made by the town for an appopriation for a sawmill in the village [of Queechee]. The sawmill was built about 1769 by Benjamin Burtch, Abel and Elisha Marsh, and Joshaua Dewey. [It was up by 1767, see above note--CRG] Jonathan Burtch purchased this property in 1771 and added grist mill and fulling mill. He operated his mills for seven years, selling them in 1778 to Lionel Udall. Two weeks later Lionel Udall dispolsed of his purchase to Joseph and Elisha Marsh.”
Numerous transfers followed and eventually all mill privileges came into the possession of Eleazer Harwood and Matthew Ransom.” By 1825, John Downer & Co. gained sole proprietorship and built the brick building now standing in the village [the one now owned by Simon Pearce]
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Randy Gallistel 13 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Eilene Farrell Hays 19 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
C. R. Gallistel 26 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
wbroguirbsoui... 2 Oct 2003 5:53AM GMT 
Randy Gallistel 2 Oct 2003 12:57PM GMT 
JanEJordan65 16 Nov 2003 5:55PM GMT 
Randy Gallistel 16 Nov 2003 7:26PM GMT 
JanEJordan65 14 Apr 2004 5:10PM GMT 
Randy Gallistel 14 Apr 2004 8:36PM GMT 
Steve Marsh 15 Apr 2004 12:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions