Search for content in message boards

CARL SANDERSON

Replies: 4

Re: CARL SANDERSON

C. Terry Mitchell (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2002 11:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank-you for your reply. I think we must be looking at two different Ozias Sandersons. With a name like Ozias it is hard to believe but the data do not match. The Ozias which I have records of lived in Berlin Heights, OH and died there. He married Olive Jepherson (b 1793; d 1889 Berlin Hts, OH) about 1812. She was of Rochester VT. The family later moved to Brandon VT. I have family records that talk about his son James Monroe Sanderson (b 1817) and I have pictures and letters from his grandson Marshall Eugene Sanderson (b 1846; d 1936) who moved from Ohio to Milwaukee. The 1850 census places Oziasand his family at Berlin Heights, OH with two children Marshall Eugene and Marcia Sanderson. The following are notes that I have on James.

James was born in Woodstock but lived his early years in Brandon and worked as a cabnet maker in 1838 at Knowlton's shop. Here he met Stephen A. Douglas who also worked in the same shop. His mother (Olive Jepherson)attented school in Brandon with Stephen A. Douglas at Brandon Academy. (Letter from M.E.Sanderson to Florence Bucklin 3 Oct 1921).

His father's family consisted of 7 brothers and a number of sisters. All the boys were in the Revolutionary War except his father (Ozias) who was the youngest and remained at home.

Before 1840, James moved with his father to Berlin Heights, Ohio where his father was a carpenter and he worked as a cabinet maker. At the time of his death he was working as a mechanic. His death record states he (James) was born in Rochester, Vermont though no records of Sandersons have been found in that town.

Benjamin Sanderson is the likely grandfather of James Sanderson. The family history of the Sanderson's prepared by Page Sanderson lists 8 children born in Leicester, MA. The family moved to Woodstock, VT about 1770. A number of grandchilden of Benjamin later moved to Ohio.

The following are notes I have on Osias:

Ozias Sanderson moved about 1838 to Ohio where members of his wife's family were living. In an 1850 account book found in the old Jefferson home which was used as a station in the underground railroad, Ozias was listed purhcasing items. Also listed is Jacob Jefferson. ("The Fireland Pioneers," vol 8, 3rd series, p. 25 1988)

As can be seen there appears to be a significant disconnect between the data I have and yours. I may be possible there were two cousins names Ozias. How does this match?

James M. Sanderson's wife was Ellen Jane Buckland, sister to my 2 gg father Hiram Buckland (b. 1823) of Brandon VT.

Terry Mitchell
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TRACI NOBREGA 2 May 2000 6:25PM GMT 
Susan Minch 20 Oct 2001 3:08AM GMT 
ctmitchell 21 Apr 2002 9:02PM GMT 
Susan Minch 22 Apr 2002 1:01AM GMT 
C. Terry Mitchell 22 Apr 2002 5:24AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic