Search for content in message boards

Accomack County Research

Replies: 12

Re: Accomack County Research

Posted: 29 Sep 2010 3:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
My trip to Accomac Co. was a very productive but exhausting trip, thank you. I had been wanting to go for many years but it just never seemed to work out. I had only 5 days to cram in generations and generations of research. When I left though, I was completely satisfied that I had exhausted every resource in Accomac County, VA for my Polk ancestors. I LIVED at the court house and library from the time they opened each day until they closed. :)

I actually stood on what was Capt. Wm. Polk's property back in the late 1700's on Bradford's Neck Road before I left and couldn't help but cry, but it was a good thing. :)
I did know about the Miles Files before I went and had copied off a stack of papers to research and verify. There are a few mistakes in the Miles Files that I found but can't think of which ones off the top of my head. Are you related to the Polks of Accomac Co.?

Capt. William Polk's son, William, born 7/5/1784, is the one who migrated to Clinton County, Ohio. He was my 3rd great grandfather and I've proven that he was in Clinton County already by at least 1809, as evidenced by deed and tax records and maybe even earlier. I believe he migrated from Chatham Co. NC with the William Hobson family, whose daughter Hannah, he married in Clinton County in 1809. The History of Clinton County and death records of some of hteir children indicate that line of Hobsons migrated around 1807 to Clinton County.

I don't think it is a coincidence that at least two of William Polk's (b. 1784) sisters, namely Bridget and Margaret, had already migrated to Chatham Co. NC in the late 1790's, while William was still living at home with Capt Wm Polk back in Accomack Co.

I would bet money that William first met Hannah Hobson while still in Chatham Co. I mean, he was only a young man of 25 years old when he married Hannah Hobson in 1809 in Clinton County, OH and none of the rest of his siblings or relatives came here. Why else would he have come to Ohio with no family here if he was not traveling with another family? Just a theory of course.

Becki
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
judithbeloate... 26 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
maryleeknight 2 Nov 2001 7:30PM GMT 
Judy Beloate 3 Nov 2001 12:56AM GMT 
maryleeknight 5 Nov 2001 2:04PM GMT 
James Belote 19 Jul 2010 9:21PM GMT 
mospk 25 Jun 2013 7:28PM GMT 
scorpioforu 15 Sep 2010 6:20PM GMT 
svikaros 29 Sep 2010 6:46PM GMT 
scorpioforu 29 Sep 2010 9:17PM GMT 
svikaros 30 Sep 2010 3:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions