Thomas Family

Replies: 19

Re: Will of Joseph Thomas Sr., Cumberland Co., Va., 1815

Posted: 22 May 2004 3:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Aug 2006 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Childress, Childers, Neville, Cannon
Hi,
The following site, http://www.childers-childress.com/wills.html, has many Childers and Childress wills, and some with Thomas connections. The first wife of Abraham Childress was Elizabeth Cannon, and the second wife was Lucy Thomas Neville. In her will written in 1792 she mentions her son James Thomas. She doesnt mention her son Cornelius Thomas who died in 1775, but does leave bequests to some of his children. This will I am guessing was transcribed by Pat Childress Spurling; for the complete will see the above site, but here is the gist of it:
LUCY CHILDRESS WILL
AMHURST COUNTY, VA
WRITTEN 26 JANUARY 1792
PROBATE SEPTEMBER 1795
ADMINISTRATION 15 FEBRUARY 1796

In the name of God Amen. I LUCY CHILDRESS of the County and Parish of Amherst .... do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament ... I give and devise and bequeath in the following manner & form to wit. Item: First my will and desire is all my just debts pray be paid. Item: I give unto my son JAMES THOMAS [my note: this is the James who married Elizabeth Childress in 1753, sd James died in 1801 in Cumberland Co, Va in 1801] one Shilling Sterling and his heirs forever - Item: I give to my Daughter BETHENIAH HILTON one Shilling Sterling to her and her heirs forever - Item: I give to my Daughter MARTHA HOPSON one Shilling Sterling to her and her heirs forever - Item: I give to my Daughter JUDITH MITCHELL one shilling Sterling to her and her heirs forever - Item: I give devise and bequeath to my Grandson JAMES TURNER one negro woman named Mary one choice feather Bed and furniture also one hundred pounds to be applyed by my Executor hereafter mention in Schooling my said grandson also I give him one young bay mare with one Eye- I tem: I give and bequeath to my grand son JESSE ALLEN one negro fellow named Paul to him and his heirs forever - Item: I give and bequeath to my Granddaughter SYLTHY TURNER one negro Boy named Will to her and her heirs forever - Item: I give devise and bequeath unto ELIZABETH DARWELL one feather Bed & furniture to her and her heirs forever - Item: I give devise and bequeath to my Granddaughters MARTHA ALLEN & BETHENIAH ALLEN the daughters of SAMUEL ALLEN one negro woman named Teller and all the increase of her body except a boy Given to SYLTHY TURNER to be Equally divided between them. Also I give & bequeath unnto MARTHA ALLEN a one feather Bed and furniture - Item: I give Devise and Bequeath to my Grandsons NORBOURIN & NEAL THOMAS [this is the nickname of Cornelius Thomas, jr] one small feather Bed and furniture. Item: All the Residue of my personal Estate not before mentioned shuch as all my Negroes, Stocks, household furniture, grain it is my will and desire it shall be sold by my Executors and the money arising from such sale to be Equally Divided amongst all the Legatees above mentioned. Item: I constutute and appoint my Brother MICHAEL THOMAS and my friend Col. WILLIAM CABEL , Junior and my friend HUDSON MARTIN Executors of this my last Will and Testament hereby utterly disallowing all other Wills and Testaments by me made Ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and Testament in Witness whereof I have herwith set my hand and Seal this 26th day of January 1792 her LUCY CHILDRESS mark ....at a court held for the said County the 15th day of February 1796 administration on the Estate of LUCY CHILDRESS dec'd is given to LEWIS NEVIL & CORNELIUS THOMAS who qualified according to Law and entered into Bond with NORBBOURN THOMAS & GEO HYLTON their securtities in the penalty of one thousand five hundred pounds current money.
There is also a court case mentioned in CHRONICLES OF THE SCOTCH-IRISH SETTLEMENT OF VIRGINIA; Vol 2, by Lyman Chalkley. Pages 187 to 189:
Allen vs. Hylton--O. S. 244; N. S. 86--Bill, 1814. One part of the account is as follows:
Decree, 1808, in cause of: John Thomas, John Wood
and Elizabeth, James Lewis and Lucy, Thomas Moore and Sally, Norborne
Thomas, Cornelius Thomas, Henry Hobson, George Hilton and Bethenia, vs.
Lewis Nevil, son, heir and devisee of James Nevil, deceased; Nicholas
Cabell, executor of James Nevil; Robert Mitchell and Judith, Jacob Michaux,
Christopher Haskins and Sally, Amasa Palmer and Judith, Tocharner
Woodson. Answer states: About 1760 George Hylton was married to Bethaniah
Allen, widow of John Allen and one of daughters of James Nevil,
then deceased. James's widow was Lucy, who married Abraham Childers.
Mother of complainant was Hannah Allen. Judith Mitchell was sister of
Bethaniah. Gideon Via deposes, in Buckingham, 23d June, 1814, he was
born 1730. Letter dated Richmond, June 5, 1795, to Dear Sister Hylton,
signed Judith Mitchell.
----
My line is from Lucy Thomas Neville Childress' son James Thomas who married Elizabeth Childress, daughter of Abraham Childress and Elizabeth Cannon. After Elizabeth Cannon's death, Abraham Childress married the widow of James Neville, (Lucy Thomas Neville), so...James Thomas' mother Lucy married his wifes father Abraham Childress.
James Thomas had a son Abraham Thomas born in 1770 who went with other relatives to Madison Co, Ky by 1810. This Abraham Thomas married Lucy Johnson. I am also seeking info on her family. Their daughter Lucy Ann Thomas married William Anderson Bowles, son of Hughes Bowles and Mary Shipp. Two of Hughes Bowles siblings married Abraham Thomas' siblings.
David Travillion Bunton
Russellville, AR
travillion@hotmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
harrymartin74 29 Apr 2004 3:11PM GMT 
Debra Miller 29 Apr 2004 5:57PM GMT 
Debra Miller 2 May 2004 10:40AM GMT 
Susan 3 May 2004 10:50AM GMT 
harrymartin74 19 Jul 2004 11:58PM GMT 
DavidBunton44 22 May 2004 9:50PM GMT 
Debra Miller 23 May 2004 1:09AM GMT 
DavidBunton44 23 May 2004 6:27AM GMT