Search for content in message boards

Scottsville, Virginia 1910 Census questions

Replies: 3

Scottsville, Virginia 1910 Census questions

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 8:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gentry, Bailey, Giannini
I found my 2nd great grandparents Thomas Anderson Gentry and his wife Mary Elizabeth (Bailey) in a 1910 census in Scottsville sheet 7 B. Listed as family 117. Mary's brother Edward F Bailey and family are also listed on page 8A, family number crossed out and rewritten (I think) it is 123 or 113. At any rate this is the last census before Thomas' death in 1910. Thomas, his son Theodore, and his son-in-law N. Glenn Stone are listed as working as laborers for a soapstone mill. Edward and Sarah Frances's son James O Bailey is also working at the soapstone mill. Both families are listed as living on "Sand Road".

So - getting to the point of my questions. Does this "Sand Road" still exist, has it been re-named? I noted that the census entries for Sand Road in 1910 were quite a few pages - so I estimate it in being fairly long. Does anyone know the exact location of this street today?

I found there are still three soapstone mills in this area. Two are local to Scottsville and appear to be under the name of Alberene Soapstone. The other a little further north towards Charlottesville - called Old Mill Soapstone. I don't know if their names have remained the same all these years. Does anyone know of a possible list for employees back in the 1910's or 1905?

I did find Thomas & Mary E's graves in Slate Hill Cemetery.
I can't find their exact dates or cause of death. Would like to find out the cause of Thomas' death.
Edward and Fanny are in Alberene Cemetery. Thomas and Mary were parents to my great grandfather Walter Barton Gentry - who's wife was Mary E. Giannini.

Of note - particularly funny - Walter and Mary are listed in the 1910 census at Thomas' home, but at the time they are also listed in the census in Charlottesville with 4 children on Woolen Mills Rd. My grandmother was not born yet. But I found a couple of other census where family was in two places. Not sure if the person providing the answers was 'senile', if family was visiting at the time of the census, or if neighbor gave the information in these situations.

Hope someone might have info on some of these questions.
Thank you! Lori
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
perkylzd 4 Jul 2013 2:45PM GMT 
1_mhineline 5 Jul 2013 2:23PM GMT 
perkylzd 7 Jul 2013 4:38PM GMT 
1_mhineline 8 Jul 2013 1:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic