Search for content in message boards

Everette Preston Meadows

Replies: 10

Re: Everette Preston Meadows

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 12:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Several of E.P.'s brothers also worked for the railroad - James Washington, Russell, and Walter Martin for sure. Their uncle George (brother of James Thomas) also moved to Alleghany County (Clifton Forge) and worked for the railroad. His obituaries are:

Obituary, Richmond Times-Dispatch:
TRAINMEN ATTEND BURIAL OF MEADOWS
Clifton Forge Man, Who Died Suddenly, at Rest.
[Times-Dispatch Valley Bureau]
Clifton Forge, March 22, [1925]
Rev. L. H. Paul, D.D., pastor of the Prysbyterian Church, assited by Rev. F.W. Long, pastor of the Christian Church, conducted the funeral services this afternoon for Captain G.G. Meadows, who died Friday night rather suddenly. Members of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen, of which Captain Meadows was a member, attended the funeral as a body. Services were held in the Meadows home, on Church Street, and burial was in Crown Hill Cemetery.
Captain Meadows had suffered from a complication of troubles for two or three years. He was on the street a few days ago attending to business. He was stricken early in the week and grew worse until the end Friday night. His wife, one son, Frank, one sister and two brothers survive him.

C. & O. Conductor Dies Suddenly
Funeral of G.G. Meadow to Be Held Today
[Times-Dispatch Valley Bureau.]
CLIFTON FORGE, VA., March 22, [1925]---Captain G.G. Meadows, freight conductor on Chesapeake and Ohio, whose run was west of this city, died suddenly last night from a complication of troubles of two years standing. His wife, one son, Frank, one sister, two brothers survive him.
Funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock.

My great-grandfather Nathaniel Robert Meadows was a brother of James Thomas Meadows, both sons of Madison "Matt" Meadows and Mary Ann Garten. N.R Meadows never worked for the railroad; he cut timber and was a farmer all his life as far as I know. He had two sons, Robert Clark and James Dowl. James Dowl was my grandfather.

I have been watching "Who Do You Think You Are" for several years now. I find it very interesting, most of the time. I have been researching off and on for over 40 years - my grandfather Willey (Mom's father) got me started because he used to tell us stories about his grandfather who drove a supply wagon for the Union Army during the Civil War. I have been interested ever since, and the internet has made it so much easier to search. I don't have as much time to spend on it during the summer but try to do a lot during the winter months.

I live on the east coast too (Maryland). I was born in Summers County, WV but my parents came to Maryland in 1953 when I was three years old. I have been here ever since except for three years when I was in the army.

Yes I have heard about the Indian raids at Kerrs Creek. Those people went through some rough times.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ameadows110 14 Aug 2013 6:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions