Search for content in message boards

John & Charles Thomas of Amelia Co. & Bedford Co., VA

Replies: 5

John & Charles Thomas of Amelia Co. & Bedford Co., VA

Posted: 25 Jul 2008 6:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thomas
Is anyone out there also researching this line?

I am still trying to follow up on researching the John and Charles Thomas of Amelia Co., VA lines. Mary Jane Stokes provided me with her research and is the source of the following:

There seems to be a strong connection between a John Thomas of Bedford Co., VA who sold piece of land in Amelia county to John Skarratt in 1766. John Skarratt's will mentions his daughter ELIZABETH THOMAS so I believe that John Skarratt is this John Thomas' father-in-law.

In 1762, a John Thomas bought 100 acres on Lazareta Creek from James Overstreet (The Overstreets are a big Bedford Co. family). Deed: James Overstreet of Amelia Co., to John Thomas of same. D. J. 26, 1762. Consid: 11 lbs. 100 acres S/S Lazareta Creek in Amelia Co. adj. lines of Greffay & Seaton with all woods etc. Possession obtained, J. 26, 1762.

This John Thomas then moved to Bedford Co. according to the next deed but shows no Elizabeth as wife in either deed. In 1766, four years later, John Thomas sold this 100 acres to John Skarratt. (Sharrott) An interesting entry shows that John Thomas has moved to Bedford County. (Amelia Deed Book 9 page 141). There is no question that this John Thomas is the same John Thomas who bought the land on Lazareto Creek. John Skarratt is most likely his father-in-law and this might be the John Thomas married to Elizabeth Skarratt Thomas. However, there is no mention of Elizabeth
Thomas in either deed.

This indenture made and indented this 38th day of August in the year of our Lord one Thousand Seven Hundred & Sixty Six (1766) between John Thomas of the County of Bedford and Parish of Planter of the one part and John Skarrott of Nottoway and County of Amelia Planter of the other part witnesseth that the said John Thomas for and in consideration of the sum of fifteen pounds current money of the colony of Virginia the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledge and myself therewith fully satisfied contended and paid have given granted bargained sold conveyed and confirmed and so by these presents fully freely and absolutely give grant bargain sell and convey and confirm unto the said John Sharrott his heirs Ex. Adm or assignees one certain tract or parcell of land containing by estamation one hundred acres (100 acres) more or less lying on the branches of Lazarater Creek in Nottoway Parish and County of Amelia and bounded as follows: beginning at Guffey's Corner black oak then down the South Fork to Bruce's (Brice's) line them along Bruce's line to Hugh Leightons line then along Leightons line to Guffey's line then along Guffey's line to the first stations. Together with all and singular the houses, orchards, gardens, woodlands, ground..to him the said John Sh(k)arrott his heirs...from me the said John Thomas my heirs...Signed Sealed & Delivered In prsence of Thomas Overstreet, Thomas Hudson, William Casey. Teste T. G. Peachy.

SKARRATT, JOHN. (Also SKARRAT) of Nottoway Parish. Will d. Apr. 26, 1773. pro. (no date given). Wit. Jeremiah Walker, Charles Anderson & Lucy Anderson. Ex. Wife Margaret. Leg: Lend wife Margaret, etc. est. for life; at wife's decease, lend ent. est. to daughter Elizabeth Thomas for her life; at her decease, to go to my g'son Charles Thomas. At decease of my wife, rem est. (except land & plant.) be sold & money equally div. between the rest of the children of my
dau. aforesd., my grandson Charles excepted.

I recently found Margaret Skarratt on a Bedford Co., VA tax roll living near Charles Thomas. So this John Thomas line came into Bedford from Amelia Co., VA. Perhaps my 4x great grandfather, John Thomas, was the son of this Charles Thomas (named in honor of Charles Thomas' father John Thomas).

However, my current line of research does not appear to directly connect to the George Thomas, John Thomas, and James Thomas (orphand of John Thomas) that are so active in the Bedford Co., VA records during the mid- to late 1750s.

My Bedford County Thomas line that I know for sure follows:

BUFORD HOLSTON THOMAS (my grandfather), b. 09 Jun 1893, Bedford Co., VA; d. 30 Mar 1961, Roanoke, VA was the son of Robert L. Thomas and Nancy C. Huddleston.

ROBERT LEE THOMAS b. Apr 1865 in Bedford Co., VA, and d. Feb 1934 in Bedford Co., VA. He married NANCY C. HUDDLESTON 21 Oct 1891 in Bedford Co., VA, daughter of
RICHARD HUDDLESTON and ELIZABETH OYLER. She was born Nov 1859 in Bedford Co., VA, and died Jul 1938 in Bedford Co., VA.

ROBERT LEE THOMAS' mother was AMANDA THOMAS and his father is currectly unknown. ROBERT LEE THOMAS and his twin sister MADORA THOMAS are listed a grandchildren living
with their grandfather NIXON W. THOMAS in the 1880 Bedford Co., VA Census.

NIXON W. THOMAS was born Abt. 1805 in Bedford Co., VA, and died in Bedford Co., VA. He married MARY JANE PATTERSON 16 Apr 1836 in Bedford Co., VA, daughter of WILLIAM C. PATTERSON. She was born Abt. 1816 in Bedford Co., VA.

Children of NIXON THOMAS and MARY PATTERSON are:
i. GEORGE THOMAS, b. 1833, Bedford Co., VA.
ii. WILLIAM D. THOMAS, b. 1836, Bedford Co., VA.
iii. SAMANTHA "AMANDA/MANDY JANE" THOMAS, b. 03 Jun 1838, Bedford Co., VA; d. 07 Oct 1921, Bedford Co., VA.
iv. JAMES N. THOMAS, b. Mar 1847, Bedford Co., VA; d. 12 Feb 1915, Bedford Co., VA.
v. MARY THOMAS, b. Abt. 1848, Bedford Co., VA.
vi. NANCY A. THOMAS, b. Abt. 1849, Bedford Co., VA; d. 25 Oct 1878, Bedford Co., VA.
vii. FANNY THOMAS, b. Abt. 1851, Bedford Co., VA.
viii. LAURA C. THOMAS, b. 01 Feb 1854, Bedford Co., VA; m. ROBERT WALDRON, 07 Jul 1872, Bedford Co., VA; b. Abt. 1848, Bedford Co., VA.
ix. SAMUEL H. THOMAS, b. 01 Feb 1854, Bedford Co., VA.
x. MARY JANE THOMAS, b. Abt. 1855, Bedford Co., VA.

NIXON W. THOMAS was the son of JOHN THOMAS and SARAH (SALLIE).

JOHN THOMAS was born in Virginia, and died Aug 1849 in Bedford Co., VA. He married SARAH "SALLIE". She was born in Virginia, and died Aft. 1860 in Bedford Co., VA.

Children of JOHN THOMAS and SARAH "SALLIE" are:
i. LEMUEL THOMAS, b. Abt. 1802, Bedford Co., VA; d. 1890, Bedford Co., VA; m. NANCY
SMELSER, 26 Sep 1841, Bedford Co., VA. LEMUEL THOMAS Marriage Certificate: 25 Sep 1841, Married by James Leftwich on 26 Sep 1841 in Bedford Co., VA. Henry Bates Surety.
ii. CAMUEL THOMAS, b. 1804, Bedford Co., VA; d. Jun 1874, Bedford Co., VA.
iii. NIXON W. THOMAS, b. Abt. 1805, Bedford Co., VA; d. Bedford Co., VA.
iv. FLEMING S. THOMAS, b. Abt. 1807, Bedford Co., VA; d. Sep 1883, Bedford Co., VA.
v. JOHN THOMAS, b. Abt. 1813, Bedford Co., VA.
vi. ELDRIDGE THOMAS, b. Abt. 1821, Bedford Co., VA.

All of the above named children and Sarah (Sallie) Thomas are mentioned in JOHN THOMAS' will proven Sep. 1849 in the Bedford County Court Records.

Any insight or suggestion for further research would be greatly appreaciated.

Bobby Thomas,
Wake Forest, NC
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BobbyThomas28 26 Jul 2008 12:56AM GMT 
janicehoward8... 20 Aug 2008 3:05PM GMT 
BobbyThomas28 20 Aug 2008 7:46PM GMT 
CarolynBruce5... 20 Aug 2008 8:50PM GMT 
BobbyThomas28 21 Aug 2008 1:47AM GMT 
RogersSat 21 Aug 2013 12:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic