Search for content in message boards

Baker line of Amelia County-1740's

Replies: 14

Re: Baker line of Amelia County-1740's

Posted: 18 May 2010 3:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Gay,
I don't have much on this Esther and George Shilladay since her father, Douglas Baker, was my Caleb Baker's brother and so I didn't follow his line that much. But I do have this. It is from the will of Robert Baker's (another brother) widow in which Mary gives something to George.
She refers to herself as "widow of the late Robert Baker, Gunsmith." The will was written the ninth day of October 1760. Some of the things Mary Baker leaves are:

1. To her beloved son-in-law James Anderson, twelve pounds, ten shillings, current money of Virginia.
2. To my beloved grandson, Samuel Anderson Five pounds.
3. To my well-loved granddaughter, Mary Baker, seventeen, ten shillings with my bed and furniture to her and her heirs forever....
4. to my well-beloved grandson Robert Baker, two hundred acres of land, with all the improvements therewith belonging, which includes all the clear ground and buildings. I bequeath him seventeen pounds, ten shillings.
5. to my well-beloved granddaughter, Margaret Baker seventeen pounds, ten shillings. with my riding horse and side saddle with my brown setting gown, a black crepe gown and blue quilted pettisake? Petticoat?
6. to my well-beloved grandson, John Baker, seventeen pounds, ten shillings.
7. to my well-beloved cousin, John Hill, twelve pounds, ten shiillings to the amount of __pounds removed out of my stock taken by him according to apprisement with the bed and furniture that he now sith on.
8. to my loving cousin, Robert Baker, son of Douglas Baker, one cow named Sally to him and his heirs forever...
9. to my loving cousin, George Shilladay one cow named Primrose to him and heirs forever.
10. I order and appoint that all my stock of chattles, goods, with my three Negroes (to wit) Will, Isaac and Jean, to be sold except so much of my stock as is or shall be willed away, and the money arising therefrom to be divided as followeth: ten pounds current money to each of my three grandchildren Samuel, Thomas and Mary Anderson; and the remainder after my lawful debts and legacies are paid to be equally divided amongst my four grandchildren, Mary, Robert, Margaret and John Baker to them and their heirs forever.
11,I give and bequeath to my loving cousin, Robert Baker, son of Douglas Baker, the years hire of my Negro, Isaac, with is now in his possession.
12. to John Hill, one cow named Flower and her calf.
13. to Mary Swallow, one cow named Nancy.
Her will inventory was taken on 20 Feb1761 and recorded in Prince Edward County the 19 of Dec 1763.

The only other thing I have on George was that he was a witness to Douglas Baker's (his father-in-law) will where the only daughters mentioned are the two under-age or unmarried daughters. Here it is:
Will of Douglas Baker, 1765 - Prince Edward County , Virginia

1765 Sep 16. Prince Edward Co, VA Will Bk 1, pgs 78-79. Will of DOUGLAS BAKER made 16 Feb 1765

proven 16 Sep 1765.

In the Name of God Amen. Being sick and low of Body But of Perfect Sence & Memory thanks to

Almighty God Calling to mind my Mortality Do make this my last Will and Testament in Manner

following. First I give my Soul to God that gave it & my Body to be Buried in hope of a glorious

Resurrection. As to my Worldly goods I dispose of them as followeth. First I give and Bequeath

to my Daughter Jean Baker one Negro boy named James with her horse and saddle, I also give to

my Daughter Martha Baker One Negro Boy named Rodger, with her mare. Also I give to my Dearly

beloved Wife Jane Baker all the rest of my Estate to be disposed of by her in her Life and at

her Death, As it shall _______ to her after all Just Debts are payed & I constitute & appoint

my Dearly beloved Wife Jane Baker to be Executrix of this my last Will In Witness whereof I do

hereunto set my hand and Seal this Sixteenth Day of February 1765.

Signed & Sealed } his

in presence of } Douglass ( D ) Baker

George Shilliday mark

Samuel Baker

Andrew Baker

At Court held for Prince Edward County the 16th Day of September 1765 This Last Will of Douglas

Baker ____ proved in Court by Jane Baker the Executrix therein Named who under Oath thereto and

the same was proved by the Oath of the witnesses thereto & Ordered to be Recorded.

John LeNeve, Clerk

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
janswart2000 18 May 2010 3:02PM GMT 
gl1940 18 May 2010 3:28PM GMT 
janswart2000 18 May 2010 9:00PM GMT 
gl1940 19 May 2010 12:54PM GMT 
maurydswart 24 May 2012 4:57PM GMT 
India83 1 Sep 2010 5:50PM GMT 
maurydswart 2 Sep 2010 12:21PM GMT 
imshedevil200... 28 Jan 2014 10:59PM GMT 
IndiaWolf547 28 Jan 2014 11:50PM GMT 
imshedevil200... 29 Jan 2014 3:06PM GMT