Search for content in message boards

Hix Family - Hixburg

Replies: 6

Re: Hix Family - Hixburg

Posted: 3 Nov 2011 7:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

I live nowhere near the area (I am all the way up in Canada on the West Coast) but I would be happy to share what little I have via email. If you are thinking of doing a history project you should visit the courthouse. One thing I have learned (since my visit there many years ago) is that even thought the courthouse burned in 1892 (I believe) many people came to the new courthouse to register their wills and deeds, etc so that they could establish their rights to their land and family assets. Even if they did not have copies of the original documents I understand that it was common practice to give an oral description of what their lands were and how they acquired them. (I really wish I had known this before I went down there). The automatic response of the courthouse front office staff is to say 'no, everything burned.' (Less work for them!)
I have also read that having a Northern accent can be a bit of a disadvantage. Best to call on your ties to the area and the local families. Of course the Library of Virginia has a copy of almost everything and they are amazingly helpful!

If you happen to come across any graves on the old Hix properties I would be so very grateful if you would take a picture of them and send it to me. I am particularly interested in any WORLEY or MITCHELL or HILL gravestones.

I believe that originally William Hill was granted about 1500 acres around Sawney Creek - this place was mentioned in Grant's correspondence in the final days of the War - Check out this link:
http://www.nytimes.com/1865/04/20/news/grant-s-army-record-o...
(I think it's called Swanney Creek today). His children divided the land and some of it came to my Samuel Worley through his wife, Mary Mitchell (through her father Samuel, through his mother, Sarah Hill). They have all sorts of maps at the Library of Virginia that can help you see how the land you are living on relates to William Hill's original land grant, and I am sure that there will also be maps of the progress of Grant and Lee's armies in the final days of the War. (I believe that the Library of Virginia also has some slave narratives at least one of which describes those final days.)

Good luck with your research - and please again, let me know if you would like any further information from me. I would be more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Lori Herman
inmarketing@shaw.ca
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lherman848 22 Sep 2003 9:29PM GMT 
Purrsia2 23 Sep 2003 8:46AM GMT 
Purrsia2 28 Sep 2003 7:21PM GMT 
tinacruz1962 4 Apr 2005 1:31AM GMT 
celestialprin... 25 Jun 2011 11:35PM GMT 
satyree 25 Oct 2011 2:35PM GMT 
lherman848 4 Nov 2011 1:30AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic