Search for content in message boards

Houchin/Kerr

Replies: 1

Re: Houchin/Kerr

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 9:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Houchin, Allisson
In my 3 great grandfather's obit, Moses is mentioned as his uncle who served in the War of 1812. I have him listed as a Private in the Virginia Militia. But know very little else about Moses. I hope that helps you a little bit.

Jesse Houchin was born in Pike County, Ohio, November 10, 1825, died September 17, 1905, making his age 79 years, 10 months and 7 days. He was of Scotch and Welsh ancestry, but for three generations preceding him his paternal ancestors were natives of Virginia. His father, Jesse Houchin, was born in Amhurst (Amherst) county, Virginia June 10, 1770; his grandfather, William Houchin, was born in Buckingham county, as was also his great grandfather, John Houchin. His mother's name was Mary Allisson, daughter of Thomas Allisson, of New York State. Five of his uncles were soldiers in the war of 1812, viz: Moses and Charles Houchin, Jesse, James and Daniel Allisson.

The deceased parents, soon after their marriage, moved to Greenbriar county, West Virginia, and in 1820 to Pike county, Ohio. From there in 1830, they came to Indiana, settling first in Highland township, but soon after moved to Warren county, where they lived for 20 years. He remained with his parents during his boyhood, and in his youth when not employed at work on the farm attended subscription schools. In February 1851, he moved to a farm in Helt township, Vermillion County, Indiana, and there improved a farm, where he spent the remainder of his life. April 9, 1846, he was married to Elizabeth Jackson, daughter of John Jackson. To them were born eight children - Martha S., John S., Mary M., Jessie E., Alice C., Daniel V., William E. and Lawrence B., Daniel, William and Martha are deceased.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RandyStalnake... 5 Mar 2007 6:49PM GMT 
dmctm 6 Apr 2012 3:00AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic