Search for content in message boards

W.H.Cavendish family

Replies: 39

Re: William Hunter Cavendish

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 5:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Apr 2012 6:21PM GMT
All the arrowheads on my farm are found on the ridgelines, except for one place at waters edge of the creek where a vein of soft mallible clay is, there are knappings on the ground there. Some indian camped there and made himself some new arrowheads. The pioneer forts up and down the valleys of Sinking Creek in Greenbrier county and Monroe county were constructed by militia who were stationed here to protect the settlers from indians. In records of pension applications is one from Jonathan Hughes describing the raid in 1778 on the home/fort of William McCoy. (proof)

Also, the deeds recorded in Book 1 at the Greenbrier county courthouse have names of the surveyors written in the left hand column...and several are done by William H. Cavendish and James McCoy. They are all done for some kind of government(VA) process, and not done for any individual land owner. I find it difficult to read the script used, and the format is repeated through each as if it was a common format. Most of the surveys are for 300 or 350 acre tracts. I feel that these men were given a certain acreage as a form of payment for military service, and they just went about the area and picked the nicest plots to have and did little surveys and claimed them. I don't know that any of them were attached, in fact in the survey there are some that identify their location by naming an adjacent landowner. Sims Index is a book of these kinds of land grants for service.
http://www.gregsmith.info/williams_research/simsindex.html

Many of the ones named in the book are located on Sinking Creek, Roaring Creek or Culbertson Creek..which is exactly where Williamsburg WV is now located. The source for that webpage is
Source: Shuck, Larry. Greenbrier County Virginia Deeds & Wills, 1777-1833. Athens, GA: Iberian Publishing Co., 1992.

At the museum in Williamsburg we have a research project where a man traced and compared these grants and connected about a dozen of them as contiguous in the Sinking Creek area between Trout WV and Williamsburg WV.

One of the earliest, land grants for service, went to Captain Lewis..and his property is referred to as a reference point for some of the others. I'm pretty sure that Lewis actually lived there long before the land was officially named as his, and he was very respected and so there was no doubt that the property was his claim.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cbstephens23 4 Apr 2012 10:41AM GMT 
ofarrell171 5 Apr 2012 10:19AM GMT 
cbstephens23 6 Apr 2012 11:56PM GMT 
cbstephens23 7 Apr 2012 12:49AM GMT 
cbstephens23 7 Apr 2012 1:22AM GMT 
cbstephens23 7 Apr 2012 2:32AM GMT 
ofarrell171 7 Apr 2012 11:53AM GMT 
bnpark 19 May 2012 3:33PM GMT 
cbstephens23 6 Aug 2012 2:10AM GMT 
ofarrell171 7 Apr 2012 11:48AM GMT 
per page