Search for content in message boards

Ross Family

Replies: 24

Re: Ross Family

Posted: 7 Jul 2009 11:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ross Davis Harvey Crittenden Scott McDonald
I'm another descendant of John Robert Ross and Mary Harvey Davis. I started taking notes from the family elders when I was very young, then moved on to libraries, cemeteries, and courthouses for additional info. I filed this all away until a few months ago when I started looking at online resources. It's always a happy moment when my notes are in agreement with records that are new to me. Recently, I've run across the confusion between John Robert and John Anderson, and the Census records are sufficient to clarify which is which...John A. would have to lived in two places and been married to two women at the same time to have been confused with John R.

Around 1975, I was given a couple of photocopied pages stapled to a small note that stated their origin. I believe it was from a family history about a Davis family of Virginia, but that note separated and is missing at the moment. The copy described Richard Davis of the plantation "Cowpasture Meadows" and included a horrific story about the loss of 3 of his 4 children. The 4th had to have been Mary Harvey Davis, and it is noted she married a Ross. Under another section, their marriage and children are further described and named. Each section seems to be the recollection of a different person. The person who gave me this copy was (or is) a very serious researcher of family history and had added a few notes that I have confirmed. I had thought this was probably "common knowledge" by now but am amazed to see an unlikely mother attached to Mary Harvey Davis on many pedigrees online (Catherine McTier). I can find nothing that explains this attribution.

I would like to learn more about Richard Davis and family, if this is familiar to other researching Bath County. There was also mentioned a John Robert Ross brother, Samuel, who married a Miss Scott and remained in VA.

In my old notes, I have two wives for John Ross, their father: Sarah Crittenden and Mary McDonald. I also have John's father as William, probably from Ireland.

Does anyone have specifics of when and where John Robert Ross was in Rockbridge Co., VA, between his Bath Co. days and moving to KY?

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Roger Ross 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
PatFannin47 12 Apr 2006 6:56PM GMT 
dlr94306 11 Feb 2007 3:50PM GMT 
paddypuke 12 Feb 2007 6:11PM GMT 
wvgal40 21 Feb 2007 4:27PM GMT 
dlr94306 22 Feb 2007 12:08AM GMT 
jdjones124 7 Jul 2009 5:27PM GMT 
dlr94306 7 Jul 2009 5:58PM GMT 
jdjones124 20 Jul 2009 8:34PM GMT 
paddypuke 21 Jul 2009 12:09AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions