Search for content in message boards

Carter & Swearingen

Replies: 19

Re: Carter & Swearingen

Susan Leonard (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2006 6:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Actually that was Mattie Liptrap, she died in the 1980s and I believe she might be buried at the Green Valley Church cemetery. I never knew her husband, I believe he was deceased well before my time.

She did have a son, Glenn, who was a diabetic. Glenn eventually married and moved into a house by the old Jane Colby plant just east of Millboro (I think it is now a factory that makes raincoats or something like that, maybe called "CoolDri"). Glenn had worked for VDOT.

Anyway, Glenn died a few years after Mattie did and I don't know where he is buried.

Mattie was a sweet old lady. Very graceful, old-fashioned, and an excellent cook. I best remember her orange marmalade - which to this day I have been unable to find any that compares.

She had long hair that at one time had been blonde. She always wore it up in a bun on the crown of her head. I remember her and grandma always talked everyday on the phone.

I don't know what Mattie's maiden name was, so I'm sorry that I can't confirm that it was Mattie Swearingin. I only knew her as Mattie Liptrap.

I seem to remember that further down the road from GreenValley toward Windy Cove Church there was an old lady who lived down over the hill in a 2 story house and I think her name may have been Mattie Swearingin - is it possible that may be to whom you are referring?

I know my grandmother knew her and remember going there to visit occasionally before she died (I think she died sometime in the 1980s) but I don't remember her all that well. I remember that after she died there was an auction at her house.

Later on, one of the Booth girls married her high school sweetheart and I think they bought the property and built a house near the road above where that old homeplace used to stand (this is just further past the Plecker house on the right hand side of the road as you drive toward Windy Cove from Green Valley).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mtmdsb13 11 Aug 2005 1:54PM GMT 
SusanLeonard 12 Mar 2006 9:37AM GMT 
TeresaDelosh 30 Aug 2006 11:57PM GMT 
Susan Leonard 1 Sep 2006 12:15AM GMT 
Melissa Quick 19 Nov 2007 1:13PM GMT 
shockeymtsdny 6 Apr 2012 7:32PM GMT 
JessieRicky1 1 Dec 2007 1:56AM GMT 
gsiamrod 9 Jan 2008 6:09PM GMT 
Melissa Quick 29 Jan 2008 1:02AM GMT 
gsiamrod 8 Mar 2008 3:13AM GMT 
per page